03122013_jmsspeakerseries019
JMS Speaker Series: Phil Weinberg Credit: Debby Chiang , Debby Chiang

With blunt honesty, Phil Weinberg — executive vice president and general counsel of Comcast-Spectacor — presented the truth about law school and the evolving nature of law as a career.

On Tuesday evening, the John Marshall Pre-Law Honor Society hosted Weinberg in Huntsman Hall as a part of the society’s mission to expose undergraduate students to successful and high-profile lawyers.

The honor society aims to provide networking opportunities, test preparation and law school exposure to undergraduate students who are considering pursuing law in the future.

College senior and JMS President Robert Gianchetti said, “It will be very worthwhile to hear how [Weinberg’s] time in law school and his previous jobs prepared him to be general counsel for a company as prominent as Comcast-Spectacor.”

During his talk, Weinberg, a Philadelphia native, recalled a time when he didn’t know what he wanted to do with his life. “I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to do public service, be a chef or become a lawyer.” He eventually received his law degree from Boston University and returned to Philadelphia to work as a litigator for a local firm.

When asked about his time in law school, Weinberg offered several words of advice.

He admitted that the substance of law school is not the most important, but that the essence of law school is to be proficient in analyzing and solving problems. He revealed that law school is about learning to think like a lawyer and urged students to immerse themselves in that process.

While describing his partnership with Comcast, a relationship that began in his early days as a litigator, he advised, “It’s not about who you are or what you’re doing, but who you get to know.” His connections with the company made him the prime choice for the first general counsel of Comcast-Spectacore — a Philadelphia-based sports and entertainment firm.

Speaking of his recent work, Weinberg provided some details on a class action law suit filed by the Philadelphia Flyers’ season ticket holders concerning the 2012 NHL Winter Classic between the Flyers and Boston Bruins.

Weinberg discussed the evolution of the field of law since his early years and cautioned undergraduates to seriously consider their career goals before choosing to attend law school. “Don’t go to law school unless you really want to become a lawyer,” he said. “There is no harm in taking off a couple years after graduating to decide what you want to do.”

Julio Arias, a junior in the Huntsman Program in International Studies and Business, was intrigued by Weinberg’s opinion on pursuing dual graduate degree programs in business and law. As a student interested in that particular intersection, he said, “I do plan to take at least two years after college before making a decision, but I agree that you should be passionate if you choose to go to law school.”

Weinberg reassured the students in attendance that his words of advice, though seemingly daunting, were just precautions. Those who truly desire to study law, he explained, will find it tedious, but edifying.