When College and Wharton junior Anand Gopal received an email from College junior Rebecca Yee about the newest Greek organization on campus — biological honors society Phi Sigma — he admitted he was a bit hesitant.

“I wasn’t too sure what it was all about,” Gopal said. “I thought it was a great idea to meet other students involved in biological research at Penn, though.”

Gopal, who ultimately made the decision to join the group, is now director of finances at Phi Sigma, which currently has 17 members and was officially recognized by its national chapter Feb. 19.

Yee, who is president of Phi Sigma, said Gopal’s story is not unusual. Many of the organization’s current members were recruited after receiving emails and then meeting Phi Sigma’s members.

“Many aren’t too sure about what we are doing, but are excited to get on board,” Yee said.

For Yee, the decision to launch Phi Sigma was not necessarily motivated out of a desire to become Greek, but rather to bring together a group of students who share similar academic interests.

“Becoming Greek was not really our focus,” Yee said. “Rather, we were looking to be under a national organization, which I think people will perceive to be more legitimate.”

“In addition, national organizations have a lot of funding and support available for chapters,” she added.

Yee said that the group is not solely composed of biology majors, but also chemistry, physics and dual degree students.

“Response has been enthusiastic, but I think people want to see us gain a stronger foothold,” said College sophomore Naman Upadhyay, who is vice president and director of recruiting for Phi Sigma.

Throughout the semester, the group will have research-oriented activities like proofreading others’ research papers and brainstorming ideas, Yee said.

“I think research can be very discouraging — it can have long or random hours, and that’s why we wanted to form a support group,” Yee said. “Ultimately, research is a team-based activity.”

Phi Sigma is not currently recognized by the University, and does not receive any funding from outside sources. Gaining University recognition and funding from the Student Activities Council is the next step for this organization, Gopal said.

“We are still brainstorming financial options,” he said, adding that the group currently funds itself via fundraisers.

According to College junior Rikka Azuma, Phi Sigma’s director of science programs, the group will also hold philanthropic events, like a recent science fair that the group judged.

“We really want to build a community outside, but also within,” Azuma said. “I think this is a great way to give back to the community we live in, and encourage some of the younger students in the Philly area to take up science research.”