Stephen MacCarthy will become Penn’s vice president for university communications later this month, Penn President Amy Gutmann announced last week.

MacCarthy, currently the vice president for external relations at the University of Arizona, will be in charge of conveying information about Penn’s activities to internal and external stakeholders.

“Steve is a strategic communications leader who brings a wealth of experience to the position,” Gutmann said in a statement. “He will be a wonderful addition to our leadership team, and I look forward to working closely with him in the months and years ahead.”

MacCarthy has also served as vice president for university relations at Pennsylvania State University and director of public affairs and university relations for the California State University system.

“He has a deep and extensive understanding of higher education,” Gutmann said.

MacCarthy will occupy the post previously held by Lori Doyle, who served from 2001 to January 2011, when she resigned to become senior vice president of university communications at Drexel University.

“Lori’s decade of achievement has been defined by collaborative leadership, unflagging adaptability, and diverse expertise,” Gutmann said in a statement at the time.

Phyllis Holtzman, associate vice president for university communications, filled the vacant role in the interim.

MacCarthy will assume his position on Aug. 29.