01252011_scue_qa001
SCUE Elections Q&A Credit: Alexandra Fleischman

On Sunday, the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education elected College junior Joyce Greenbaum as their new chairwoman.

Greenbaum sat down with The Daily Pennsylvanian to discuss SCUE’s vision for the upcoming year.

The Daily Pennsylvanian: What are your goals for this year?

Joyce Greenbaum: This past year, almost exactly a year ago, we published our White Paper, which was our very visionary document outlining our projects we hope to implement in the future. My goal as chair is to continue implementing the things proposed in the White Paper … as well as continuing our innovative thinking and exploring new projects to work on.

DP: Are there any specific initiatives that SCUE is planning to implement?

JG: Right now, we’ve been working on [putting] syllabi online with the [Undergraduate Assembly] for the past two years. We have right now 600 syllabi posted online which means students can actually see what the syllabus for the class is before they sign up.

We’re also working on a research seminars program which is a tool to help students engage in research earlier in their Penn career by teaching them methods such as how to engage with primary source material. We hope students will feel more comfortable with the research process and also have the tools necessary to engage earlier.

The University just received a very large donation … and we’re exploring ways to work with other groups on campus to see … how we can foster a deeper connection between the Wharton School and [the Netter Center for Community Partnerships] and using that money.

Another thing is problem solving learning — framing a class in the context of a real world problem. It is a very interdisciplinary, interactive approach.

DP: Are there any specific challenges facing SCUE this year?

JG: We’re very visionary so we are always looking for ways to expand our thinking both in terms of initiatives we develop and also creative ways to implement them. I guess we face challenges with almost everything we work on and one of the exciting things about SCUE is working with the administration to mold our projects in such a way that they can affect the University in the best way possible. So that’s a challenge we face with everything.

DP: How do you envision leading SCUE?

JG: I want us to continue to think very big. That’s a major priority of mine as chair. I also am really looking forward to close collaboration with other student groups on campus such as the UA, the [Deans’ Advisory Boards] and the Undergraduate Advisory Boards. A major priority of mine is also … being more transparent as an organization.

DP: Why did you join SCUE?

JG: It excited me that I could impact my education because in high school you don’t really … things are dictated to you by your principal and your teachers. Being able to sculpt my own education I thought was exciting.