120122010_scoutbanana014
Scout Banana Credit: Stephen Dong

In tandem with Penn’s Year of Water, campus nonprofit organization SCOUT BANANA is working to increase campus awareness of water-related issues in Africa.

SCOUT BANANA presented everything from storytelling to drumming to water-related health trivia Saturday evening at an event titled “All About Africa” in Claudia Cohen Hall.

The event featured performances by African Rhythms, Penn African Performing Arts and African storyteller Momma Sandi.

“So many people at Penn seem not to know about Africa period, as educated as they are,” SCOUT BANANA chapter coordinator and College senior Tobi Bosede said.

Bosede hopes the event’s attendees learned something new about health issues in Africa, particularly what they can do to help, she said.

Wharton freshman Katie Simon said she found the event “very inspiring.” She added that she particularly enjoyed the informative slide show and African dance performances.

“[The event] made me realize how fortunate we are,” she said.

SCOUT BANANA member and Wharton sophomore Kat Muller said she was happy with the turnout of about 50 or 60 students.

SCOUT BANANA, which stands for Serving Citizens of Uganda Today Because Africa Needs a New Ambulance, was founded in 2001 as part of a Boy Scout Eagle Project. Since then, the organization has expanded to include five university chapters nationwide.

The Penn chapter was founded last November and is working to get its name and message out to the Penn community.

“Now that we’ve been able to get funding, we can make our ideas come to life,” Bosede said. “We have huge goals. We want to get the university to empathize more with issues abroad.”

The group focused its fundraising efforts on HIV and AIDS last year, but in honor of the Year of Water, this year’s proceeds will go to Charity: Water — a group that works to provide clean water sources in Africa.

Of Saturday’s event, Muller said she hopes that attendees will “appreciate things in their own lives more. Or, if they see us on the walk, they’ll make a donation.”

“If you ever see anyone on Locust Walk in a banana suit, that’s us,” she added.