This weekend, in the hustle and bustle of Homecoming, the Penn men’s and women’s crew teams will each launch several boats in the 40th annual Head of the Schuylkill Regatta.

The competition showcases rowers from all levels of experience. The collegiate races are scheduled for Saturday.

What sets this meet apart from the others, though, is that on Saturday, the Quakers will withhold their varsity crews — both in preservation for Sunday’s Princeton Chase, and in an effort to give freshman rowers — recruits and walk-ons alike — their time in the spotlight.

Though Christopher Blackwall, president of the Regatta, stressed the community-oriented and somewhat relaxed nature of the event — in the spirit of Halloween, awards will be given for the best-costumed team — the Penn coaches are not planning to take the morning lightly.

“I like this event this weekend because it is almost like a big festival, a rowing festival,” women’s coach Mike Lane said. “But that rowing festival includes extremely high levels of competition.”

The regatta will also provide an unusual experience for the freshmen women, who are usually integrated with the upperclassmen rowers.

“I want the freshmen to have the opportunity to really be the center of attention,” Lane said.

In the men’s program, it is not uncommon to put the freshmen on separate boats. Nonetheless, the race provides a unique opportunity.

The Head of the Schuylkill is a highly high-school-oriented event, so the regatta will bear elements of nostalgia for freshmen hailing from the Philadelphia area.

“I know our guys who went to specifically Philly schools are really proud to row for Penn [on Saturday] because when they were at the Philly high schools they really looked up to Penn and what it does not only as a school, but as a dominant force on the river,” men’s lightweight coach Nick Baker said.

“Now they have the opportunity to wear the Red and Blue.”

Also scheduled in the event is an alumni boat, organized by 2008 graduate and women’s rower Libby Mulligan, as well as a men’s open four boat with coxswain launched by the Wharton Rowing Club.