Penn President Amy Gutmann and Communications professor Kathleen Hall Jamieson have been honored as Distinguished Daughters of Pennsylvania, an award given annually by Governor Ed Rendell and his wife, Judge Marjorie Rendell, to women in leadership within the state.

Six other prominent women were recognized, as well, including radio host Terry Gross and journalist Suzanne Fisher Staples.

According to a University press release, award-winners are selected for accomplishments in areas of statewide or national significance. Gutmann — who has raised almost $250 million for financial aid, increasing it by 78 percent for undergraduates since beginning her term in 2004 — was honored for boosting access to higher education.

Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center and a political communication expert, has written 15 books on political science and communication — most recently, The Obama Victory: How Media, Money and Messages Shaped the 2008 Election.

“This year’s Distinguished Daughters of Pennsylvania have done extraordinary work in many different capacities," the governor said. "Their contributions to Pennsylvania and the nation have come as educators and authors, internationally known journalists, champions for those in need and executives with a focus on building healthy communities."