09242010_sigmakappaquizzo025
Sigma Kappa Quizzo Fall 2010 Credit: Melanie Lei

While Sigma Kappa’s second-annual Quizzo may have attracted fewer freshmen with this year’s delayed sorority meet and greet, the spectacle was no less successful, organizers said.

On Friday night, the sorority held Sigma Kappa Quizzo as part of its Ultra-Violet campaign, an annual benefit in support of Alzheimer’s research. Over 100 attended, representing a number of societies including Friars Senior Society, Mock Trial and Civic House, or “Scholar Ballers,” as the group called itself.

Penn Masala opened the event by singing the national anthem and was followed by performances by CityStep, West Philly Swingers and Mask and Wig Band, before students dove into three rounds of trivia.

“The event was incredibly successful,” said College senior Sara Heinze, Sigma Kappa’s Ultra-Violet chairwoman. “We held Quizzo a second time because the first time was so successful and Quizzo is a very popular event at Penn.”

This year’s prize list only heated the competition among the 24 teams, with a grand prize that included two Eagles tickets, a free week at a Florida beach house and two $50 gift certificates to Davio’s Steakhouse.

Over 20 businesses on and off campus made donations, Heinze said.

In a final tie breaker, the champions of last year’s Quizzo, Sigma Nu fraternity, took the grand prize. Sigma Alpha Mu went by “I am Sam” for the night and took second prize — a mix of campus food vouchers. Phi Kappa Sigma came in third.

So far, Sigma Kappa’s benefit event has raised $4,000 for Alzheimer’s research, not inclusive of its online donations. Last year, combined donations totaled over $5,000.

In addition to its research donations to Alzeimher’s disease, Sigma Kappa Foundation, a nonprofit organization, gives annual grants to members of the Sigma Kappa sorority.

College senior and Undergraduate Assembly President Matt Amalfitano said Friday’s event brought a myriad of Penn student groups together beyond the usual reach of Greek organizations.

While some students came in support of a cause or to find an alternative to the usual Blarney Quizzo, some came, as College senior Adam Amdur unabashedly exclaimed, “to see Sigma Kappa all in purple.” This article has been edited from its print version to reflect that Adam Amdur is not a member of Sigma Nu.