Today is the last issue officially helmed by the 125th board of editors and managers of The Daily Pennsylvanian.

For me, it’s a bittersweet end to two great years as a leader of an incredible newspaper and corporation. For the DP, it’s the end of a milestone anniversary year. And what a year it has been.

The year began with the presidential inauguration of Barack Obama, a man who earned unprecedented admiration from Penn’s student body during the election.

Only weeks later, a meningitis outbreak scared the campus, prompting thousands to seek prophylactic treatment. Measles and the swine flu were not far behind — the campus certainly got to know Student Health a little better in 2009.

The year was also defined by the nation’s crumbling economy and concern over job prospects rose among the new senior class. Here at the DP offices, the economy took it’s toll and forced the company to adapt to a new reality for the media industry.

And, lest I forget, we welcomed Vince Price as the new chief academic officer of the University this year.

But for the staff of the DP and the student body, the year was most defined by tragedies. In 2009, we lost five of our fellow Penn students and covered a series of high-profile sexual assaults on campus.

Needless to say, it’s been a bumpy year.

It has been an honor to serve this University and the DP staff as executive and managing editor. On behalf of the 125th board of editors and managers, thank you for reading us for the past year. We hope this campus continues to read us for another 125 more.