Beginning in the 1950s, the Penn campus grew significantly and controversially to the west. With its most recent acquisition of land, campus now stretches all the way east to the Schuylkill River.

But in which direction will the University expand in the future? The answer is up.

“If we’re going to grow in 50 years, it will be vertically,” Tony Sorrentino, spokesman for the Office of the Executive Vice President, predicted.

Sorrentino’s projection corresponds with the feeling of many Penn administrators, who are eager to avoid repeating the negative consequences of the University’s westward expansion during 1960s urban renewal efforts, which displaced hundreds of West Philadelphia residents.

“We’ll never make the same mistakes again,” Sorrentino added.

Addressing the future now

With President Amy Gutmann’s Penn Compact setting the tone for development, outreach and academic eminence, the University seeks more than just avoiding future conflict with neighboring residents over property — Penn aims to comprehensively expand its community ties.

“The vision is to continue to increase our partnerships in West Philadelphia,” Gutmann said. “We are going to continue on all fronts: education, healthcare, retail, construction.”

Gutmann also explained a key aspect of Penn’s growing and future partnerships.

“Engagement,” she said, “is a two-way street.”

Echoing Gutmann’s belief, Ira Harkavy, founder and associate vice president of the Netter Center for Community Partnerships, explained that all prospective community engagements must be for the benefit of both the University and West Philadelphia.

“The changes cannot just occur within the community,” he said. “It has to help make Penn improve as an institution by learning with our neighbors.”

Like many other students, faculty and administrators, Harkavy acknowledged the challenges inherent in creating a mutually-prosperous future. Specifically, he addressed the danger of complacency.

“As much as Penn has done, it has an enormous way to go for the community’s benefit, for its own benefit, for the benefit of cities and American society,” he said.

Pinpointing problems

Unlike years past, Penn has become increasingly accessible to the community, allowing residents to raise concerns and helping the University to compromise or seek solutions.

“We’ve put ourselves out there in a very transparent way,” Sorrentino said.

He cited the Penn Connects web site, which depicts renderings of future buildings and their costs, as a vehicle for communication about the University’s plans.

In addition, two-way dialogue occurs on the first Thursday of every month when various Penn departments, including the Office of Government and Community Affairs and the Division of Public Safety, hold a public meeting to seek community input.

“It’s a very effective way of developing stronger relationships and getting to know and speak with each other on a personal level,” Vice President of OCGA Jeffery Cooper said.

Concerning specific problems facing Penn’s future in the community, City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell — whose district includes campus and most of West Philadelphia — said the University should facilitate the enrollment of more neighborhood students and increase employment opportunities for local residents.

Blackwell, who has served on City Council since 1991, said these particular needs will be part of an “ongoing plan.”

Like Blackwell, Frances Walker, longtime resident and member of the Netter Center’s Community Advisory Board, emphasized Penn’s role in West Philadelphia education.

Walker, who in 1991 was involved in a lawsuit that accused Penn of failing to allocate adequate scholarships to local needy students, said the future presents a chance for Penn “to do better providing more educational opportunities for young people.”

Sarah Mack, another longtime resident and attendee at the First Thursday meetings, called for Penn students to engage in a more “honest and ongoing dialogue” with the community.

“It’s not going to be one conversation,” she said. “Because you’ll always think of something you should have said.”