A week-long celebration of Greek life hosted by the InterFraternity Council, the Panhellenic Council and the Multicultural Greek Council — Greek Week — began last Sunday and will run until this Sunday.

To build a sense of community among Greeks, a variety of philanthropic, social and competitive events took place over the week and will continue throughout the weekend.

Greek Week began on Sunday with Panhel’s Rena Rowan 5K Ribbon Run to raise money for breast cancer research at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

On Tuesday, Greeks participated in Operation Warm, a program that uses strategic partnerships in order to donate winter coats to local children in need, according to Christian Lunoe, Wharton junior and IFC vice president of community service.

Panhel president Alissa Eisenberg, a College senior and former Daily Pennsylvanian editor, explained that the program this year specifically focused on educating these children about the environment, as all the coats donated are made of recycled material.

Eisenberg added that Wednesday was “letter day” for Greeks, meaning that anyone in a Greek organization was encouraged to wear clothing with their Greek letters.

Wednesday was also the makeup Greek Blood Drive. The blood drive, which started last Tuesday, was unexpectedly cut short due to a scheduling conflict.

The makeup drive was held at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house. Lunoe, one of the planners of the event, said with the makeup drive, 100 pints of blood were collected in total.

“I had wanted to beat [last year’s total of] 119 [pints], but due to the scheduling setback that proved difficult,” he said.

The annual Faculty Tea at St. Anthony’s fraternity was held Thurday.

“The event honored faculty that students nominated because they were an inspiration or because students just really enjoyed their class,” Eisenberg said.

Also, at the Tea, awards were given to all Greek organizations with an average GPA higher than the average Penn GPA overall.

Today, Penn’s sororities are holding their annual powderpuff football game. Each of the eight sororities have a team, and there is a team of MGC sorority members.

“This is a great way to add a competitive edge to Greek Week,” said Eisenberg.

On Saturday night, a number of fraternities are participating in the Greek Block Party by holding registered parties. There will be both wet and dry parties, according to Eisenberg.

Greek Week concludes on Sunday with a final competition — the Greek Academic Bowl. The bowl is being moderated by Ajay Nair, the associate vice provost for student affairs. Teams from each Greek organization will compete in rounds of Quizzo-like questions.