*This article appeared in the 2009 joke issue.

In a controversial effort to provide a final bit of wisdom before students graduate, the Wharton School has invited New York financier Bernie Madoff to speak at this year's graduation ceremony.

Madoff, former non-executive chairman of the NASDAQ stock exchange, has recently become known for his elaborate Ponzi scheme for which he pled guilty to an 11-count criminal complaint in March. He will address Wharton's Class of 2009 via videoconference on May 17 at 5:30 p.m. at Franklin Field.

As a businessman, philanthropist and "close" friend of Ronald Perelman - for whom the Perelman Quadrangle is named - Madoff would have been welcomed by students and faculty had it not been for the recent scandal, several Wharton professors noted.

Perelman was not available for comment.

"He is still a suitable choice because he stands for the harsh realities of the business world," Wharton Dean Thomas Robertson wrote in an e-mail. "We want our students to undertake ambitious endeavors upon graduation, but we also want to show them that even the most visionary men can end up behind bars if they aren't careful."

However, the cost to provide this deterrence and host Madoff will not be a small sum, Robertson added. Estimated costs for security and AV equipment have not been fully calculated but will reach into the millions.

Penn President Amy Gutmann said she initially opposed the choice, but ultimately conceded to Robertson's rationale.

"I respect ... Wharton's desire ... to creatively express itself," she said.

Professors from the Economics department have been protesting Madoff's appearance - since their recent influx of cash from ticket sales to watch the department's band was reallocated to bring Madoff to campus - by gathering outside Huntsman Hall and impeding entrance to the building.

The general student response was evenly divided between shock, amusement and anger.

"The announcement itself has to be a fraud," Wharton senior Jason So said. "Whether they wanted to be ironic or enlightening, I wanted to hear a message of hope and encouragement, especially since my Wharton degree is now worth a lot less than it was last year."

Wharton Council seniors were said to be discussing boycotting the ceremony completely.

One Wharton senior designed a t-shirt to wear to the ceremony. After much deliberation over the use of profanity, it now reads, "You're MAD. Piss OFF."

"I'm considering ordering a few more to give out or sell during the graduation [festivities] the week before," he said.

Several members of the Jewish community were also up in arms - particularly those who have not gone on Birthright.

"Because of him, Taglit-Birthright lost a ton of money," Rachel Steingoldfeldmanberg said. "I may never get my chance to sleep with an Israeli soldier."