This spring, health is in the AIR.

The fraternity Alpha Iota Gamma, or AIR - the letter Gamma is shaped like an R - was founded this spring as the only health care-oriented fraternity at Penn.

AIR aims to provide a values-based social experience in addition to networking and academic support for students of both genders looking to pursue careers in health care.

"What makes us special," said founder and Nursing freshman Anthony Kent, "is we're original. We're not that similar to other frats - we're more academically and service focused."

AIR began with Kent and his desire to join a fraternity. Winter break passed, and he couldn't find one that catered to his major. Penn's business fraternities were full of Wharton and Engineering students with little space for students in health care or biology, he said.

"Something's missing," he said - and so began AIR.

Kent approached his friend Tommy Neustein, a College freshman, and outlined his plan for a new health care fraternity. Together, the two handpicked a small group of freshmen to be founding fathers, some of whom will become officers and initiate next year's pledges.

There will be some pledging, according to Neustein, "but nothing too intense."

Kent and Neustein are currently perfecting a coat of arms and a constitution and have not spent much time actively recruiting.

"We haven't really gone public yet," said Kent. "We're just getting the fundamentals down."

AIR counts 24 prospective members already and plans to advertise at the Student Activities Fair next fall.

"There's no shortage of people," said Kent.

Further down the road are plans for securing housing on campus, whether a traditional house or a residential program, Kent said.

So far, AIR has received approval from Penn officials.

The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs has been "very supportive so far," according to Kent, who called OFSA director Scott Reikofski their "chief supporter."

Reikofski praised AIR's founders as well.

"Anthony and his crew will do a wonderful job," Reikofski wrote in an e-mail. "I would expect a good, solid, values-based organization . Anthony is working diligently to make this a significant experience."

Prospective AIR member Matt Krey, a College freshman, said he is "really excited" about being involved in the fraternity.

"Anthony and Tommy are really dedicated to the fraternity," he said, "It'll be really great for everyone here in health care."