While many Penn students jetted off to tropical locations last week, I forwent the daiquiris and drug cartels of Cancun in favor of budget-friendly Buffalo, where I could enjoy home-cooked meals and free laundry. If it were any other year, I would not be admitting to such a lame spring break - and I certainly would not be writing it for all of Penn to read. But lately it seems that cheap is chic. As the economy tanks, many are finding pleasure in bargains rather than splurging in an economic climate where ostentatious consumption - even for those who can afford it - is on the verge of seeming gauche.

For me, saving money is nothing new. In high school, I couldn't afford a cool car, so I built one. And I am certainly no stranger to the clearance rack. But for many, saving money is a new, and exciting, trend; like any good trend, it should be gaining ground at Penn in the near future.

This fact became strikingly clear as I waited for my Southwest flight in the Baltimore airport (I saved $200 by taking the train to Baltimore and flying from there). Satisfied with my penny pinching, I decided to treat myself to some reading material (other than SkyMall) for the flight, and splurged on a copy of Vogue, hoping that the glamour and couture gowns emblazoned on the pages would be a nice break from reality. I was surprised to find that even the writers at Vogue were preoccupied with the state of the economy: self-proclaimed "recessionistas" wrote of do-it-yourself facials and shopping secondhand.

Going "recessionista" seems to be a lifestyle choice that is literally en vogue much like going green, or going organic. Like "green" and "sustainable," this buzzword has invaded our lexicon and has spawned a number of blogs. Its sister term, "frugalista," even turned up on the Oxford Dictionary's shortlist for word of the year. It is defined as, "a person who leads a frugal lifestyle but stays fashionable and healthy by swapping clothes, buying second-hand, growing own produce, etc."

These phrases have captured our imaginations because they imply action. While many people have helplessly watched their fortunes go down the proverbial toilet, recessionistas have chosen not to be victims of the economy; rather they actively battle against it by spending wisely. They prove that living well and living on a budget are not mutually exclusive.

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the phenomena is that it has become trendy even among those who can afford to spend. After all, getting a good deal is smart regardless of the size of your bank account.

At Penn, where it seems like people are paying an exorbitant amount of money to look like everyone else ($150 for canvas Longchamp bags or a small fortune for Burberry anything), there aren't any signs of recessionista culture infiltrating our bubble yet. Pod is as busy as ever, the line at Starbucks hasn't gotten any shorter and girls are still decked out in designer duds. I suppose it is easier for students to ignore the economy when they live off their parents' credit cards.

But, when the trend inevitably comes, students will be happy to learn (as I have) that Philadelphia is a frugalista's paradise. Unlike the suburbs, where strip malls and big-box stores are the only option, Philly's rich urban fabric provides a plethora of consignment shops, flea markets and thrift stores. A trip down South Street, with its myriad offbeat secondhand stores, will convert even the most brand-conscious fashionista to ditch Urban and buy real vintage. Trader Joe's offers quality organic food at reasonable prices, and while it's not the most attractive transit system, SEPTA actually can get you anywhere for much less than a smelly taxi.

So, Penn students, just like it's now cool to BYOB (bring your own bag) to the grocery store and buy local vegetables from the farmer's market, we can now flaunt it when we live within our means. Times are tough, but spending wisely isn't. If our great-grandmothers could trade in cloche hats and flapper dresses for Rosie the Riveter's coveralls, then we can surely do without that fifth pair of Tory Burch flats - or at least buy them on clearance.

Ashley Takacs is a College junior from Buffalo, N.Y. Ash Wednesday appears on Wednesdays. Her email address is takacs@dailypennsylvanian.com.