64o5s6ac

In response to intensified conflict in the Gaza Strip, the University announced last week that it will not permit students to study abroad in Israel and the West Bank through Penn-approved exchanges this semester.

Ten Penn students planned to study in Israel or Palestine this semester. Those who still want to study abroad must withdraw from Penn and enroll in the destination university, although officials say they do not encourage this option.

Director of Study Abroad Geoffrey Gee said the decision is based on the "Israeli military action in the Gaza strip and the potential for escalating conflict" and current U.S. State Department travel warnings.

According to the State Department Web site, U.S. citizens traveling to and within Israel and the West Bank are encouraged "to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness." The current travel alert expires Jan. 31.

Conflict in the area intensified about three weeks ago, after the expiration of a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas.

University policy states that if the State Department or the Centers for Disease Control issues a travel warning for a particular country or region, Penn will normally suspend approval of study abroad by undergraduate students.

Gee said the University decided to take decisive action before students left because they could not easily return to Penn and enroll in classes if the situation escalates.

"Our real concern is safety," he said, adding that if the University is not cautious, "we run the risk of students wasting time and money."

Gee said he is unsure of whether other institutions are sanctioning study abroad programs in Israel.

Yale University's associate Dean for International Affairs Jane Edwards said travel warnings from the Department of State and MEDEX - which provides travel, medical and security assistance to international travelers - have not yet hit a high enough level for the school to prohibit students from studying in Israel.

Cornell University is sending 11 students there this semester, according to director of Cornell Abroad Richard Gaulton. He said Cornell's policy requires students to read the Department of State's travel warnings and follow the security advice of a part-time Cornell staff member working in Israel.

College junior Zackary Wainer still plans to study at Hebrew University this semester by officially withdrawing from Penn and enrolling at the Jerusalem school. He plans to receive absentee credit instead of abroad credit.

"It's basically just a bureaucratic distinction," he said.

Gee said Penn does not support students taking leaves of absence for safety and logistical reasons, such as complicated credit transfers. The University will determine whether students who choose to withdraw will receive credit after they return to campus.

Though Wainer said that he understands the University's apprehension about sending students to Israel, he disagrees with its decision.

However, he added, Penn has been "helpful in making the transition between enrolling at Penn and Hebrew University a lot easier."

Nursing junior in the BSN/MSN program Colleen Bass planned to attend a Penn nursing program that combines classes at Hebrew University and a clinical component at a nearby hospital.

She said the cancellation of her program was a surprise because last Monday Penn assured her the program was safe and then cancelled it the next day.

The University told her that because nursing students have to travel between campus and the hospital, they "may be more in harm's way than students who stay on campus," she said.

Bass said transitioning from focusing on going abroad to staying at Penn has been difficult. "My mind was set on going and now I have to unpack my life and stay here," she said.

Although they are disappointed, Bass and Wainer said, the University has helped them solidify their plans for this semester.

Gee said school deans are helping students who will remain on campus this semester register for classes on campus and secure housing.

"They are trying their best to make up for the unpredictable circumstance that occurred," Bass said, adding that the nursing program director offered to take students to Israel over the summer for some clinical experience and hiking.