Once again, Penn sorority girls have new big sisters.

On Sunday, the 108th Panhellenic Council officially passed the reins onto a new group of women in an "emotional" ceremony known as the Circle of Sisters.

Meyerson Hall came to life as hundreds of new sorority members cheered in support of the recently-elected Panhel board.

In a traditional ceremony, each outgoing board member gave a short speech and passed on various representative "trinkets" ---- a quill, scales and a gavel, to name a few.

The 2009 Panhellenic Council took the stage to enthusiastic applause, speaking about their responsibilities, their plans for the coming weeks and their hopes for the year.

The Circle of Sisters ceremony has been held every year since 1944 and represents the official induction of new recruits into the pledging process as well as the transition of power to the new Panhellenic Council.

According to College junior Alissa Eisenberg, a former Daily Pennsylvanian editor and the new Panhel president, the purpose of the event is twofold: One reason is "to introduce the new pledge class to the Panhel community, and the other is to introduce them to our new leaders," she said.

The former Panhel officers are relieved of duty but will continue to help the new leaders throughout the next few weeks.

The sorority system has been a part of Penn student life since the mid-19th century and contributes to the Penn community in many ways, including hosting a variety of social and charity events throughout the year.

"The Council hopes to encourage philanthropy and greater cohesion between sororities," Eisenberg said. "If [the sororities] work together, we can achieve more."

She also mentioned the Council's plans to continue participation in "Operation Warm," a charity event in which Penn students donate coats and winter clothes to underprivileged West Philadelphia children.

And so finances will not be an issue for potential pledges, the Council plans to offer a dues scholarship.

"The new sisters were really excited," said Drew Tye, College senior and former Panhel president. "It was a wonderful event, and it was exciting for all of us to be together."

According to a sorority sister who wished to remain anonymous for fear of repercussions from her sorority, the event was very emotional.

The new Panhel members "held hands . they all said how much they were looking forward to their new jobs," she said.

Absent from Sunday's events was the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority, which held a separate initiation ceremony in its own house.

Related StoriesNew Greek leaders cite philanthropy, collaboration as main goals - News