Updated Jan. 2, 11:15 p.m.

The body of Kambili Moukwa, 22-year old College senior, was found outside a nightclub near the Festival Pier by Penn's Landing this afternoon, according to Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush.

The manner and cause of his death are not yet determined, and an investigation is being conducted by the Philadelphia medical examiner's office, University spokeswoman Lori Doyle said.

At the moment, foul play is not suspected, said Rush, who called Moukwa's death "very, very unfortunate."

Moukwa was out with friends for New Year's eve at a club near Delaware Avenue and Spring Garden Street, Rush said, and became separated from them. His friends came to the Division of Public Safety at about 11 p.m. Thursday to say that they had not seen him.

DPS officials and Campus Apartments then opened Moukwa's apartment near 40th and Walnut streets. Rush said Moukwa was not there at that time.

Doyle and Rush said Moukwa's father is identifying his body at the medical examiner's office.

The Philadelphia Police declined to provide additional details on the incident, saying police officials are waiting for information from the medical examiner's office. The medical examiner's office could not immediately be reached for comment.

"The sudden death of Penn senior Kambili Moukwa is a devastating loss to his family, friends and to the Penn community," said Penn President Amy Gutmann. "The death of one so young and promising is an enormous tragedy, and our thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones at this difficult and painful time."

Moukwa, who was interested in public service, had been a communications intern in Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter's press office since soon after Nutter took office last year.

"I was saddened to learn of Kam's death. He was a regular face around the Mayor's Office and in a very short time, he became a part of our team," Nutter said in a statement. "I recognized from the contacts that I had with him that he was making real contributions to our government. He will be remembered fondly."

Press Secretary Doug Oliver described Moukwa as "a calming presence in a hectic environment" and said in a statement that Moukwa "will be remembered for his intelligent, yet soft-spoken opinions, his natural political acumen and his always-pleasant demeanor. More than anything, Kam will be remembered for his warm smile and his sincerity."