In the coming weeks, selected members of the Penn faculty will help shape the next presidential administration by serving on President-elect Barack Obama's transition team.

Laurie Robinson, director of the Criminology Department's Master of Science Program, was named to the Justice Department agency review team last week.

She is one of 20 members of the team, which will review the department as a whole in order to facilitate a smooth transition.

Robinson joined the Penn faculty in 2003. Before coming to Penn, she was an assistant attorney general in the Clinton administration.

"Laurie not only knows the inside of the Justice Department - having served there for seven years, but she is also an ideal person to serve as a bridge during the transition between academia and Washington," Lawrence Sherman, director of Penn's Jerry Lee Center of Criminology, said in a press release.

"We're proud to have her there representing Penn and the Jerry Lee Center of Criminology," he said.

Robinson is the second member of the Penn faculty to be named as a member of one of Obama's transition review teams.

Legal Studies and Business Ethics professor Kevin Werbach is the co-leader of the review team for the Federal Communications Commission. He has also been mentioned by political analysts as a possible chairman for the FCC.

Related StoriesNews Brief | Obama transition team recruits prof - NewsFrom health care to tech, profs advise Obama - News