The votes are counted. There are no candidates to canvass for and no campaign calls to be made. But that doesn't mean Penn students plan to step out of the political world for good.

For political junkies, the fun is just beginning - President-elect Barack Obama's transition to power, his first few months in office and the future of the Republican Party hold the potential for excitement.

College sophomore Jeff Weinstein said he's closely watching the Minnesota Senate race between Norm Coleman and Al Franken.

Weinstein added that he was interested in politics before the election and plans to continue to follow the actions of the new administration and Congress.

"It's kind of my thing," he said.

For Penn students who became interested in politics later on, the interest level seems to have subsided.

Before Nov. 4, "there was definitely election fever around here," Weinstein said. But he said excitement among his friends "has definitely died down."

Randall Miller, a St. Joseph's University History professor and political analyst, said there will likely be a "big falloff" in interest like there is after every major election.

But the extent of that falloff, he said, will depend on the early actions of the Obama administration.

"Do they squander the moment? Do they help to realize some of people's expectations?"

Miller added that the level of communication the Obama campaign had with its supporters - largely through an extensive e-mail and text-message database - allows Obama to "organize enthusiasm post-election, rather than organizing just for the election."

According to College junior Lauren Burdette, the President of Penn Democrats, interest in the organization has continued even though the election is over.

"I've actually seen a lot of interest in people who just joined on and are interested in continuing in some sort of board position," she said.

As a result, Burdette said, the organization is considering restructuring its board to involve more people.

And for students who don't want to stop following politics, there are plenty of ways to stay involved.

College Republicans President and College junior Zac Byer said those interested in politics should follow the new administration and consider getting an internship in Washington next summer.

Despite the lower interest level among some of his friends, Weinstein said he thinks Obama's victory will keep many young people excited about the political process.

"I think that people are more interested in politics than before the election took place because they're more optimistic about where the country's going," he said.