Financial firms aren't the only companies being taken over these days. Come Oct. 1, Bucks County Coffee, the popular student cafe and campus alternative to Starbucks, will become Saxbys Coffee.

The Philadelphia-based Saxbys - which opened its first location in 2004 and now operates around 70 chains nationwide - purchased Bucks County Coffee Company earlier this year for an undisclosed sum. Bucks has around 35 stores in the Mid-Atlantic region.

The official turnover deal at the 40th and Locust Bucks location is set to close next week, with name changes and renovations occurring in the following two weeks.

"One of the reasons why we really like Bucks is that they have strong locations that we really want to develop our brand on," said Saxbys president and CEO Nick Bayer, who said the agreement was a mutual deal between the two companies.

The Bucks County Coffee location at 36th and Sansom streets was also bought out, but not by Saxbys.

According to Bayer, the planned modifications to Bucks will be noticeable but far from dramatic.

Modifications include new furniture, a new menu board and possibly a new color scheme for the store's interior, he said.

The location, like all of Saxbys coffee shops, will still have free wireless internet, Bayer said. He added that they are also considering extending the store's hours.

"I like studying at Bucks, so I'm excited about the upgrade in furniture," said Wharton sophomore Chloe Caan.

It is likely that students will see more Saxbys popping up around Philadelphia, as the chain aims to open 2,000 locations nationwide and has targeted Philadelphia as its next city for expansion.

"We want to grow pretty aggressively in our home market," said Bayer.

The company currently owns seven locations on college campuses, including its most recent branch at Temple University, and plans to open five more in the coming year.

"We see a trend in college campuses that students find coffee shops to be great social atmospheres and also great for studying," said Bayer.

He attributed much of the company's eagerness to expand into colleges to the young age of some team managers, many of whom are recent graduates themselves.

"Saxbys wants to bring it back to when coffee shops were cool," said Andy Senss, a recent Temple University student who has worked at the current Bucks County Coffee on 40th and Locust streets for the past six months and who called the buyout a "solid investment."

Bayer said Saxbys will retain the majority of the current employees at Bucks - a move that Senss says will help the franchise because the current employees "have good relationships with the customers."

And customers are embracing the change.

"Though I'm a loyal fan of Bucks, a renovation of the location and potential changes to the space sound appealing," said College sophomore Enmanuel Martinez.