094hsvy9
Penn's Al Kohart (21) scored two goals yesterday - 40 percent of his team's output - but it wasn't enough. For the second straight game, the Quakers' offense was held in check, and Penn lost.

Unfortunately for the Quakers, Ludacris' Friday performance was much more inspiring than the men's lacrosse game on the same field the next day.

After a 25-minute lightning delay, Penn (5-5, 3-3 Ivy) had its offense shut down for a second straight contest in an 8-5 loss at No. 16 Brown.

It wasn't for lack of physicality - the Quakers checked hard.

"Hopefully our guys wanted to come out and knock heads," Penn coach Brian Voelker said.

The Red and Blue had three tough penalties, one a cross-check by junior midfielder Garvey Heiderman that knocked 6-foot-5 Bears' defenseman Jake Hardy on his rear, stick-less and momentarily senseless.

And although Penn was outscored 3-1 in the final quarter, late-game play was not its biggest problem.

This time, the culprit was Bears' goalie Jordan Burke, who entered Saturday's game leading the nation with a .695 save percentage and a 5.87 goals against average.

"When you shoot at the kid's stick you make him look better than he is, but he's a really good player," Voelker said.

Burke, a junior, improved both of his NCAA Division I-leading stats by letting in only five shots while saving 19 - all this while watching 38 other attempts from the trigger-happy Quakers sail high or wide.

In contrast, Brown (8-2, 3-0 Ivy) managed to put eight in the back of the net on just 22 total shots. The Bears also extended their winning-streak to seven and remain undefeated in conference play.

The Red and Blue got off to a solid start and entered the second quarter leading 2-1 thanks to a couple of early long-range, net-ripping goals by freshman midfielder Al Kohart.

After a third score by junior attack Casey O'Rourke put the Quakers up 3-1 midway through the second quarter, they saw the lead slip away with two late-half strikes by the Bears and ended the half knotted at 3-3.

Brown came out firing in the second half, scoring within two minutes of the beginning of both the third and fourth quarters.

The Quakers' second-half shots were either right at Burke, or outside the goal-frame altogether. The Bears finished the game on a 5-2 run.

The score was never separated by more than three and Brown picked up a cheap dump shot in the last minute on an empty Quakers' net.

Last season, Penn ended its Ancient Eight competition by topping the Bears 12-10 in Providence, R.I. This year the Quakers were the first to finish Ivy play and posted a 3-3 record for the second straight year.

"It's just frustrating," said attack Craig Andrzejewski, who finished the afternoon with one goal and one assist.

"We had our chances to do some great things this year in the Ivy League and I think we kind of fell apart when it came down to playing some of the better teams."