The Philadelphia Police officer who was shot during a North Philadelphia robbery died early yesterday morning, and police have increased efforts to hunt down the killer.

Chuck Cassidy, who was shot at point-blank range once in the head after walking into a robbery in progress at a Dunkin' Donuts at 6620 N. Broad St., died at 9:40 a.m. yesterday at Albert Einstein Medical Center.

Police have been searching citywide for the gunman and have bumped up the reward from $50,000 to $115,000. Federal agents have also joined the manhunt, and the police has distributed photographs of a gray, hooded sweatshirt believed to be worn by the suspect during a September robbery.

Officers spent yesterdayt canvassing the neighborhood near the crime scene for potential witnesses and possible clues.

The suspect is described as a heavyset black man, about six feet tall, with a noticeable limp and a spider tattooed on his left hand.'

He was also reported to have worn a black hooded sweatshirt, khaki pants and tan boots.

Cassidy was the third policeman to be shot in the past week. Early Sunday morning, an officer was shot in the leg during a gunfight outside the Koko Bongo nightclub on 38th and Chestnut streets.

The suspect in that case, Lamar Bembry, was killed by police during a battle in which dozens of shots were fired right off campus.