The Daily Pennsylvanian is a student-run nonprofit.

Please support us by disabling your ad blocker on our site.

3h2c5836
Delancy Street was evacuated late Sunday night due to a fire in a house occupied by Penn undergraduates. Credit: Chris Poliquin

A fire occurred on the 3900 block of Delancey Street at about 12:30 a.m. yesterday, forcing residents of four houses on the block to be temporarily displaced and injuring one student.

The fire was caused by a malfunctioning transformer underground on the block, Divsion of Public Safety officials said.

College senior Ben Barbash, who lives at 3924 Delancey St., said he suffered second-degree burns on his hand and was admitted to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania the next day for treatment.

Barbash was carrying a candle outside the house after his power went out, and the candle exploded due to an apparent gas leak, causing the burn.

The University of Pennsylvania Police Department, along with the Philadelphia Fire Department, evacuated residents of the immediate area while the area was investigated.

Four homes on the block were deemed uninhabitable due to high levels of carbon monoxide, DPS spokesman Jared Hupp said.

The residents who were unable to return to their homes were provided with room accommodations at the Sheraton Hotel by DPS in conjunction with the Vice Provost for University Life and Business Services.

A second fire also broke out on the block late last night, though no one was injured. DPS could not confirm any details about that fire as of press time.

Electric and gas representatives also could not be reached for comment.

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Pennsylvanian.