Upon arriving in Charlotte, N.C., last weekend, the womens' volleyball team met southern hospitality with a special song mix entitled "The Dixie Chick Quakers Come to UNC," made by parents of team members.

Despite the warm welcome, the Quakers fell in all three tournament matches. On Friday evening, they faced tournament host UNC-Charlotte (5-4).

"We had a strong showing Friday night," Penn coach Kerry Carr said. "When we passed well our offense was unstoppable."

After falling 30-22 in game one, the Red and Blue (0-3) fought back in the second game, winning 30-21. In games three and four, the Quakers took early leads but watched them fall as Charlotte emerged victorious in both games and the match. The 49ers ended up winning the overall tournament.

Sophomore Kathryn Turner led the Quakers offensively with 16 kills while junior Linda Zhang and freshman Shannon Moody tallied 10 each.

"Of our freshmen, Shannon contributed a lot to the team," Carr said. "Natalie [Drucker] also showed her athletic ability in the middle. It was fun to see what the freshmen could do - to see them rise to the occasion at the college level. I plan on giving them all a chance early on."

On Saturday morning, the Quakers faced North Florida, losing 3-0. In the afternoon, Penn fell again to East Carolina, 3-0, despite having four service aces in game three.

"On Saturday, the teams were able to exploit our weaknesses," Carr said.

Setter Zhang was named to the All-tournament team, recording 94 assists in the three matches.

"The other coaches were impressed with her athletic ability," Carr said. "She played smart and demonstrated great leadership ability."

Although Penn's first trip to the South ended with losses, the team experienced southern hospitality from parents as well as Penn alumna Claire Rauscher of the Class of 1979, who was on the Red and Blue's inaugural volleyball season and is now a federal prosecutor.

Rauscher hosted the Quakers for dinner and shared her experiences on the team, including having to wear softball jerseys as a uniform.

"Overall, the tournament was definitely a growing experience," Carr said. "We faced very strong teams and know what we need to improve on passing and defense."

The Quakers only have three days of practice before they head to California this weekend at the Fullerton Classic, where they face San Diego State, Cal-State Fullerton and Lipscomb.