Philadelphia's dream to host the 2016 Summer Olympics was cut short yesterday as the City of Brotherly Love was eliminated by the United States Olympic Committee.

The city was one of five American cities vying to be the single American city potentially making a bid for the world games. The other contenders were Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Houston was also cut from the running.

Peter Ueberroth, the Chairman of the USOC, said in a press conference yesterday afternoon that the decision to cut Houston and Philadelphia did not come lightly.

"All five cities led in some categories," Uebberoth said. "We asked them to come before our full board in California, in La Jolla ... and all five cities made terrific presentations."

Being cut from the running does not mean that Philadelphia does not have the potential to host international sporting events, however.

"Though they will not be a part of this process moving forward, we are committed to a continued partnership with both Houston and Philadelphia to bring key national and international events to their cities," Ueberroth said. "Both have shown attributes that would surely benefit National Governing Bodies and international sport federations seeking to put on a first-class event in a premier U.S. city."

The winner from the remaining cities -- Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco -- will not be chosen until this December, and the final decision for where the Olympics will be held in the world will not come until October 2009.

The committee in charge of Philadelphia's bid for the games, Philadelphia 2016, released a statement shortly after the results were announced from Colorado at 4:30pm Eastern time yesterday.

"While we are disappointed with the USOC's decision, we are also enormously proud as Philadelphians to have made it to the second round of a competition for hosting the most prestigious sporting event in the world in our first ever bid to attract the Olympics to Philadelphia," said co-chairs Dawn Staley, Joseph M. Torsella and David L. Cohen. "We want to extend our heartfelt thanks to the people of the Philadelphia region, the Philadelphia 2016 Board of Directors, and all those who supported this campaign."

The review of the five American cities began in May when Ueberroth led a delegation to each city.

Philadelphia 2016 pledged to support the USOC and whichever city ends up being chosen in December for the upcoming international campaign and said it hopes to continue its good relationship with the USOC to attract other Olympic sporting events to the Philadelphia region.