Penn baseball fans had better learn how to pronounce "Meiklejohn."

Why? Because Murphy Field, the Quakers' home since the 2000 season, has been renamed Meiklejohn Stadium in honor of William Meiklejohn -- pronounced "Michael-John," for the record -- who graduated from Wharton in 1942, and his wife, Louise.

Although the stadium has been referred to as Meiklejohn Stadium throughout the year, the change will become official at the dedication tomorrow, when Penn takes on Brown in a doubleheader.

The Meiklejohns pledged a total of $60 million in 2005 to various causes -- ranking among the top 20 American philanthropists of the year. Now they are being honored after contributing $10 million to the stadium's renovation in 2005, including a new scoreboard.

This is hardly the first time the Meiklejohns have extended a helping hand to the University.

Frequenters of Pottruck Fitness Center may recognize a part of the facility labeled "Meiklejohn Way" in honor of the family's $6 million donation to the center. The family also contributed money to Wharton scholarships and to the Palestra renovation project.

"We are thrilled to be able to name our baseball facility after Bill and Louise Meiklejohn," athletics spokeswoman Alanna Wren said. "They have been tremendous supporters and generous contributors to Penn."

The Meiklejohns' readiness to donat e to Penn has been maintained by a fervid interest in its athletic teams, even though they have to root all the way from Laguna Hills, Calif.

According to George Hain, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences executive director of development of alumni relations and a close friend of the Meiklejohns, William monitors the performance of most of Penn's sports teams.

"He's an avid baseball fan, so he's very excited about that stadium," said Hain, who was also the head of development for the athletic department. But "he lives so far away that he hasn't been able to make it to any baseball games."

The Meiklejohns were not available for comment.

"He's thrilled," Hain said of William. "I just think that he loves Penn and he loves sports, and this was a great way for him to show it."