[Ian Zuckerman/The Daily Pennsylvanian] University President Amy Gutmann speaks about academic integration to students in College Hall as part of SCUE's Education Week series.

University President Amy Gutmann answered the question all Penn students have in the back of their mind -- "What is the biggest difference between Penn and Princeton?"

"The urban setting is a physical representation of how Penn is a much more engaged institution -- besides, we have a better basketball team," she said.

Gutmann answered this and many other questions last night. She hosted a discussion as part of the keynote address of the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education's Education Week, which is meant to explore ways to promote a greater depth of education at Penn.

She also discussed her personal goal for the University -- "Pursuing knowledge without boundaries, a challenge facing every undergrad at Penn."

As an analogy, Gutmann compared undergraduate life to The Wizard of Oz.

Dorothy's "life literally changed from black and white to color, and she emerged from challenges smarter and wiser -- that's what I want for all Penn students," she said.

She then addressed a few of the many opportunities at Penn for interaction and learning outside the classroom, including SCUE, the Kelly Writers House and the Weiss Tech House.

"These exchanges are impassioned, and in comes what psychologists call 'flow,'" Gutmann said. "There is no greater key to learning than being completely absorbed in an activity."

She expressed her belief that there is no limit to the number of things a truly educated person ought to learn.

"I don't want to multiply requirements on young adults; I want to multiply ... great and integrated learning," she said.

Gutmann encouraged students to participate in educational opportunities across disciplines and resources.

"Dorms should be more than places to sleep and cram. ... At best they're communities of learning and fellowship," she said.

In closing her speech, she asked Penn students to overcome two challenges: to strengthen and improve the College House system and to take the lead in making the most of the University's diversity.

Questions were taken after the speech and included topics such as integration between the different schools, further discussion about improving the College House System and achieving a need-blind system for international students.

Organizers were pleased with the event.

"I am so glad to have her speak with us, and I [was] honored to introduce her," Samantha Springer, former chairwoman of SCUE, said about Gutmann.