[Mike Ellis/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Tourists admire the Liberty Bell on Independence Mall. The national park has been a major draw for the booming tourism industry.

Latest figures from the Department of Commerce rank the city of Philadelphia as the 13th most popular destination in its annual survey of overseas visitors.

Tourism in Philadelphia has increased 39 percent in the past five years compared to a national average of eight percent, according to figures provided by the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation. The industry is worth some $8.5 billion, when also taking into account Philadelphia's outlying countryside. Of that, Center City brings in about half.

If these trends continue, the thriving tourism industry could help spark economic revival in a city suffering from a mass exodus of middle income families and talented college graduates seeking greener pastures.

"We're thrilled that we can encourage tourists to come to town. But the best part is [that] a healthy tourism industry has helped transform the economic life of this region and the quality of life for residents," GPTMC spokeswoman Caroline Bean said.

The upsurge is due in part to recent development projects including the relocation of the Liberty Bell and the opening of the National Constitution Center, according to Bean. She also stressed the impact of featuring the city through mass entertainment channels -- such as the film, National Treasure and MTV's The Real World Philadelphia.

"Philadelphia had the best recovery in the nation [post September 11], according to Smith Travel Research," Bean said.

More than 50,000 jobs in Center City alone are related to the industry, and tourism has brought in $757 million in federal, state and local taxes.

Hotels and restaurants are some of the main beneficiaries of tourism.

"Anytime people are interested in coming to Philadelphia, we benefit," Four Seasons Hotel spokeswoman Ruth Hirshey said, praising the efforts of the GPTMC in raising awareness of the city's offerings.

The GPTMC, a private nonprofit organization dedicated to regional tourism marketing, works with the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau, which focuses more on international visitors, to coordinate marketing efforts.