The compact community of Philadelphia's Chinatown is not particularly impressive compared to its sprawling New York City counterpart -- a $10 Chinatown bus ride away -- but it remains an oasis of Chinese cuisine and, for many students, a place to gather for worship.

With a population of about 1,400, according to the nonprofit Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation, Chinatown's survival depends on both tourist revenue and local residents who have a taste for Chinese cuisine and culture.

In particular, it has enjoyed significant business from the student community, although local business owners could not provide specific numbers of college-aged patrons.

"I go there to eat at least once a week," Engineering senior Aung Naing said, adding that Chinese food was similar to that from his native Myanmar. "The most important reason [for eating in Chinatown] is that I don't like chicken cheesesteak or something like that."

But Chinese cuisine is not the only draw.

Approximately 40 Penn students participate in the Living Water Fellowship at the Chinese Christian Church and Center in Chinatown each week.

Estimating that a third of the church's English-speaking congregation consists of Penn students, Center Director Harry Leong emphasized the importance of university students to the local community.

"They actually play a pretty good role," Leong said.

He applauded the impact of Penn student involvement in community clean-ups and tutoring services run in conjunction with Haverford College, Swarthmore College, and Bryn Mawr College.

"They really help make it work," Leong said. "The community is very receptive of college students."

From videos and DVDs of Taiwanese soap operas to newspapers and magazines in Asian languages, the Chinatown community also caters to international students seeking a taste of home.

"At least a dozen people, mostly Hong Kong students, always grouped together to go there," College junior Agen Chan said, noting that the Chinese food was more authentic than that found in restaurants such as Beijing.