[Shreyans Bhansali/The Daily Pennsylvanian] College senior Bradley Breuer (right) participates in a discussion about the presidential election aftermath.

The day after the presidential election, College senior Bradley Breuer had a hard time focusing on his classes and job at a small tech firm in Center City. That morning, he had stayed up until 4 a.m., hoping that his candidate of choice, John Kerry, would win.

Breuer, co-chairman of the Civic House Associates Coalition, was one of more than a dozen students who gathered at Civic House yesterday for an informal discussion of the election and its aftermath.

The liberal group discussed the need for a stronger Democratic platform and increased education on social issues, as well as the importance of maintaining the energy for change produced by the recent election.

"This election made me feel more foreign," College senior and Chairwoman of the Asian Pacific Student Coalition Rohini Khanna said. "I invested a lot of energy in trying to educate people, especially on minority issues."

Increased discussion, interaction with politicians and involvement in community service and advocacy groups were all suggested as ways to instigate change.

According to College junior Johann Liljengren, bipartisan interaction is key.

"If you want to see change, you can't sit around with people who agree with you," said Liljengren, who also said he wished more sides had been represented in the discussion last night.

Meanwhile, others questioned whether it was possible to have productive discussions when people frequently get emotional about issues such as the Iraq war, abortion and gay marriage.

On other hot-button issues, such as health care and education, however, Breuer said he thinks a compromise can be reached.

"I don't believe our country is as divided as that [electoral] map made it look," Breuer said.

Although the group expressed feelings of disappointment and helplessness, participants also focused on suggesting several positive ways to effect change.

"At the Civic House, we're constantly engaged in these issues," Breuer said.

Khanna added, "I think at this point it is just about us moving forward."

Breuer, who volunteers with the West Philadelphia Tutoring Project along with about 400 other students, expressed hope that people will get personally involved with some of the major issues.

"We all go and we all tutor because we see something wrong in public school, and that brings us together," he said.