Though the March 11 terrorist attacks did not physically strike the Philadelphia area, many Penn students are feeling the impact of the Madrid bombings, which left 192 dead and 1,400 injured.

None of the approximately 25 Penn students currently studying in Madrid were harmed in the attack.

Office of International Programs Director Joyce Randolph said that the on-site study abroad advisers located in Madrid have been in contact with the current group of Penn students studying there.

"We're just so glad that everyone is alright, and of course we abhor the attacks and the tremendous loss of life for the citizens of Spain," Randolph said.

For the students who are planning to spend next semester in Madrid, last Thursday's terrorist attack brought a mix of emotions.

"I was definitely shocked, but at the same time, I'm still determined to go to Madrid," College sophomore Marisa Morrison said.

Others already accepted into next year's Madrid program share Morrison's resolve.

"My mom was a little bit concerned," Wharton sophomore Meghan Taylor said. "She asked me if I was reconsidering, and I said, 'No, I'll just have to be extra conscious.'"

Penn's Office of International Programs will probably allow Taylor to keep her word, with officials stating that the study abroad programs in Madrid will most likely proceed as normal.

Though students are discouraged from studying in regions such as Israel, Randolph said that she doubts Spain will reach a similar status.

"There's a policy that if there is a country that is the subject of a travel warning either by the State Department or Centers for Disease Control, that programs there are suspended," she said, adding that she "doubts there will be" a travel advisory.

Though Randolph said that students studying abroad in London sometimes are exposed to terrorist violence from the Irish Republican Army, she said that Penn's study abroad program has not experienced anything "on this scale."

Those planning to go abroad said they are aware of the risks associated with foreign travel.

Morrison said that she will probably be less likely to use public transportation, since the bombings were executed on four commuter trains.

"It's definitely going to make me more cautious," she said.

College sophomore Hannah Tucker seemed less fazed by the incident.

"I'm not really concerned as far as what happens with my safety there," she said, adding that "it will be an interesting time to be there."

For Taylor, the episode was a bit eye-opening.

"It does make you a little more aware that no matter where you go, there's always going to be that possible danger," she said.