After more than five years as dean of Ware College House, Katherine Lowe is leaving her post for another position at Penn.

As of Jan. 5, 2004, Lowe will become the Office of Alumni Relations' director of classes and reunions.

"I thought that the college house idea... was a way to really solidify Penn as a community," Lowe said. "And alumni relations is all about a lifelong community."

Lowe has a long history at Penn -- she graduated from the University with bachelor's and a master's degrees in English in 1988. After serving as assistant director of student affairs for the School of Engineering from 1991 until 1998, she became a house dean with the introduction of the college house system.

In the five years since then, many have come to appreciate her work as house dean.

"She's one of our best house deans. Katherine gives 110 percent in everything she does," said Leslie Delauter, director of College Houses and Academic Services.

As house dean, Lowe created the Readers' Corner, Conflict Resolution and Women in Technology residential programs in Ware.

She also pioneered the Penn Mentoring program, in which freshmen are matched up with experienced students for guidance. In 2000, she was named a "model of excellence" by the University for her role in developing the program.

Lowe herself admitted to being a little overenthusiastic about her work.

"Sometimes, when I get really excited about an idea, I think it's time to switch to decaf," said Lowe, laughing.

"She's an outstanding dean," said Finlay Mungall, a senior in Wharton who has lived in Ware for all of his four years at Penn.

He listed weekly get-togethers hosted by Lowe in her apartment as an example of how "she goes out of her way for students."

Not all residents of Ware were as familiar with Lowe as Mungall was, but they felt her presence as their house dean.

"She's very concerned about our well-being," College junior Amy Park said. She added that Lowe sends out e-mails about safety quite often.

Several other Ware residents also said that although they did not know Lowe personally, they did receive her e-mails.

Lowe has good reason to be concerned about safety. Her term as house dean has not been without its difficulties. Last fall, a man entered an unlocked dormitory room in Ware and attempted to sexually assault a student.

Delauter expressed satisfaction with the way Lowe handled the incident.

"I was amazed at how she responded. She was so supportive of [the victim], she has basically seen her through everything. She has been right beside her all the way."

Residential and graduate advisers who work with Lowe seem a little more tempered in their praise.

Of the six RAs and GAs contacted, four declined to comment and one requested that comments not be printed.

Manisha Gadia, a GA and a first-year student in the School of Design, noted Lowe's commitment to action.

"She's really good at getting things done," Gadia said. "If you get an idea to her, you know it won't just die with her. She'll take it to the next level."

According to Lowe, the lack of commentary on some students' part is due to a lack of information.

"They don't have a whole lot of details yet other than that I'm going," she said. "I haven't announced it to the house, we haven't worked out the logistics."

Though Lowe herself described leaving Ware as "really agonizing," Delauter called it "a smart career move."

"It's a wonderful opportunity for her," she added. However, "It's... hard to see Ware without Katherine."