The start of an era: outgoing chair of the board of trustees Alvin Shoemaker invests President Rodin with the President's Badge of Office on behalf of the University as then-Mayor Ed Rendell looks on. [Steven Waxman/SP File Photo]

She has been a giant among men -- but more to the point, the first female Ivy League president has been a leader among leaders.

Under Penn President Judith Rodin, the University has seen unprecedented growth. Research funding has doubled and both annual fundraising and the endowment have tripled. The University has risen from 16th to 4th in U.S. News and World Report's national rankings and selectivity has steadily risen.

And there's no doubt the president's impact was widely felt and will be widely missed.

"Judy is still the innovative and forward-thinking individual I served on student government at Penn with over three decades ago," Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell wrote in a statement.

"The chapters that have already been written about my good friend Judy Rodin will tell a story of a visionary who not only helped to continue building on the great traditions at University of Pennsylvania, but played an integral part in generating a new era of growth and revitalization in a city that most had given up on," he added.

Echoing these sentiments, Engineering Dean Eduardo Glandt singled out what he called "the West Philadelphia story" as Rodin's most significant contribution.

"She accepted that her legacy was to change West Philadelphia," Glandt said.

School of Arts and Sciences Dean Sam Preston also commended Rodin for the changes the area has undergone during her leadership.

"She's transformed the campus, which has been a major advantage for applications and admissions, for the morale of faculty and students, and for relations with Philadelphia," Preston said.

Administrators pointed to the specifics of Rodin's contributions during her time at Penn.

Remarking that she oversaw the "revitalization of the campus as a wonderful, welcoming destination," Provost Robert Barchi noted that Rodin's ability to overcome both campus safety issues and the financial problems with the Health Systems -- a nearly $300 million debt in the late 1990s -- demonstrated her qualities of leadership.

"It's a tribute to her skill that we have weathered these difficulties," he said. "She took [the health system] as a challenge and was able to use that as a springboard."

However, Political Science Professor Henry Teune -- who was quick to praise the departing president -- noted that the Health System is still "a source of stress that has to be dealt with," adding that Rodin's successor will also have to devote energy to upgrading Penn's dormitories and solidifying the College of Arts and Science's pilot curriculum.

A close associate in the campaign to remake the campus and surrounding neighborhood, Vice President of Facilities and Real Estate Services Omar Blaik was "absolutely saddened by [Rodin's] departure," though he added that it was expected.

Former Executive Vice President John Fry extended many similar compliments and praised Rodin for "creating more institutional self confidence and pride" as well as her personal ability as a "phenomenal fundraiser."

"I think she cared deeply about students," said Fry, now president of Franklin and Marshall College.

One of the things Rodin herself pointed to as a personal achievement was the creation of campus hubs like the Kelly Writers House.

Complimenting her role in the house's creation, Writers House Faculty Director Al Filreis said that Rodin created a "true experiment in building a learning community... and she has shown time and time again that she believes strongly in the project."

Offering broader praise, Harvard University President Lawrence Summers complimented the "clear vision and ... strong hand" which Rodin has used to lead the University.

"She understood the unique advantages that the urban university held and used those to improve an already great institution," Summers wrote in a statement. "I have enjoyed her good counsel as a colleague and I am sure we will continue to call on each other in the months ahead."

Columbia University Provost Jonathan Cole joined in extending kudos to the departing president.

"She articulates the best values of higher education," he said. "I'm sad she's leaving Penn. I think of her time there as being of enormous success."