Exercise equipment lind the atrium of Pottruck Gymnasium as the replacement of the cardiovascular room floor brought temporary changes.

Those seeking a workout at the Pottruck Health and Fitness Center this week will find that their sweating, running and calorie-burning will take place in a new location, as exercise equipment has been temporary relocated to the atrium.

The ground floor cardiovascular room -- the facility's largest -- is being resurfaced after building administrators were not satisfied with the previous floor. Elliptical machines and stationary bikes have been moved to the atrium for use until the room is reopened. The hallway of the second floor also is also temporarily housing fitness machines.

"We paid 24 million and we expect 24 million worth of building," Recreation Director Michael Diorka said, noting that this is a popular time of year for maintenance to occur.

The multi-million dollar facility opened less than nine months ago, considerably expanding the existing Gimbel Gymnasium. A $10 million gift from University Trustee and College alumnus David Pottruck.

"We have space now to do this without inconveniencing a large number of people," Diorka added.

Students on the whole were somewhat confused by the need for renovations on the facility they still considered new.

"It makes me think the floors weren't properly constructed," recent graduate of the College Kristen Wong said.

"It's pretty weird looking at the Jammin' Juice while working out," she added.

Others noted that while treadmills were harder to access, they were pleased that the gym was not closed in order to make the changes to the floors.

"I do think it's a better alternative" than closing, Wharton sophomore Charlene Ong said.

The repairs to the cardiovascular room were expected to take two weeks and the room should reopen by next week, according to Diorka.