After six years, 77 wins, 173 losses and two ties, Penn softball coach Carol Kashow has been left the Penn softball program.

On June 30, Kashow's current contract expires and the Penn Athletic Department has decided that it will not be renewed. After that time, she will no longer be an employee of the University. The decision was made in a May 5 meeting involving Athletic Director Steve Bilsky, Associate Athletic Director Earl Cleghorn and Kashow.

Kashow's departure was characterized as "a joint decision" by Athletic Communications Director Carla Shultzberg. Bilsky, Cleghorn and Kashow "decided together it was time to make a change," she added. Shultzberg notified the team of the decision that afternoon by e-mail.

Kashow could not be reached for comment, as she is serving on the selection committee for this year's College Softball World Series. Bilsky and Cleghorn also could not be reached for comment.

A national search has begun to find a new coach.

Kashow's tenure at Warren Field was marked by three 30-loss seasons, only two 15-win season and some fractious relationships with her players. Perhaps the most significant of those manifested itself in 2001, when seven players quit the team, with many citing Kashow as the reason to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

"Each year, it's like three or four quit," freshman Marissa Brassfield said.

This season has been an especially trying one. Despite an outstanding recruiting class, the team was only able to record 10 wins against 27 losses, with one tie -- a 14-inning scoreless one no less -- against Delaware at Warren Field on March 23. There was a 12-game losing streak, broken by a 3-1 win at Columbia, one of only three Ivy League victories this season.

But the season ended on a high note with a 3-2 extra-inning victory over city rival Drexel.

"I really wanted us to win that last game for the seniors, so that they could end their careers on a winning note," Brassfield said.

The last few weeks have been difficult for the current players, some of whom have had their own issues with the now-former Penn coach.

"While it is unfortunate when anyone loses their job, the program needed a change," freshman Gina Talley said. "I do not believe that the team could progress beyond our current accomplishments in such a negative environment."

"Playing for her was disheartening," said Brassfield, who had herself considered quitting the team at the end of this year but has now changed her mind. "It was like, no matter what kind of player we were when we got recruited, once we stepped on campus, we had to learn how to play softball all over again, her way."

But now that a new era is coming for Penn Softball, the players are optimistic.

"We have a lot of really good incoming freshmen, and with good coaching, we can really turn the program around next year," Brassfield said.

"I can only hope that whoever is hired will work with us in a positive manner and realize that we would like a different style of coaching," Talley said. "I am very excited about next season and hope that the program will grow in the right direction."

The players seem to agree that the clouds may yet lift over Warren Field.