The new Green Line Cafe, tucked in at the corner of 43rd and Baltimore streets near the SEPTA trolley line, hopes to serve the Penn and West Philadelphia communities. [Ari Friedman/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The Green Line Cafe -- a new coffee and pastry shop at 43rd and Baltimore streets -- has had a successful first week of business, according to co-owners and managers Douglas Witmer and Daniel Thut. The cafe, which opened last Monday, sells organic coffees and teas, which are bought directly from producers, not coffee conglomerates. It also sells its own line of bottled soda as well as various pastries and cakes. "It's a little different from typical coffee fare," Thut said of the focus on all organic products, something that Witmer refers to as an effort to be "quality conscious." The two also plan to expand their selection to include soups and sandwiches within the next few weeks. Witmer and Thut, long-time West Philadelphia residents, had toyed with the idea of opening a coffee shop for years. "We live in the community, and we felt that there was a need for a place like this where people can come and socialize," Thut said. "And when the building went on sale, we got serious about it," Witmer added. It took a year and a half to plan the cafe because storefront renovations took about a year to complete. Witmer and Thut said that although it is too soon to tell who their core clientele will be, they hope that the coffee shop will cater to both the University and West Philadelphia communities. They added that they do not think their distance from the center of campus will be a problem for business, which has been steady this week. "There is enough neighborhood support," Witmer said, "and any business from the University is a bonus." The cafe's proximity to the Green Line subway station, a key spot from which most West Philadelphia residents commute to Center City, will probably work in its favor, said Anthony Sorrentino, director of external relations for the Office of the Executive Vice President. The cafe is also near Clark Park, a popular spot for local residents. Sorrentino added that the University welcomes the addition of new businesses beyond the boundaries of campus. "It is exciting to see new entrepreneurs adding to the robust marketplace of University City," Sorrentino said. "The University is behind them 100 percent." The bustling cafe has been filled with people reading, socializing and enjoying the sunny winter days through the cafe's stained glass. David Bevacqua, who is not affiliated with Penn, made his first visit to the cafe this weekend. Having just returned from Italy, he said, "It is impossible to get a good espresso in this country, but this is as good as any." He added that the service was wonderful and the location extremely convenient due to its proximity to Clark Park. Daniel Flaumenhaft, who works in the School of Medicine, has already been to the Green Line Cafe several times this week. He likes the cafe because of its quiet, yet social atmosphere. One day this week, "I came in to read for half an hour and ended up seeing 15 people I knew and stayed all afternoon," Flaumenhaft explained. College junior Jamie Wong said that "it is convenient for students living off campus to have a place to go past 40th Street." Despite the long walk in the blistering cold, even Penn students who live on campus said that they would try the Green Line Cafe. College freshman Patrick Griffin, who lives in the Quadrangle, said that he would consider making the trek to 43rd Street if the cafe turned out to be better than those closer to campus. "I'd probably go if we could get a whole troop to make the journey down there," said College freshman Kristopher Holum, who lives in Hill College House, noting that he would like to see what the new cafe has to offer. But he added,"We have a Starbucks across the street, which I would be more inclined to go to." Whether the Green Line Cafe's organic fare and friendly service is enough to attract on-campus residents remains to be seen, but after their first busy week, Witmer and Thut are glad to be in business.