Executive Editor Amy Potter and 34th Street Managing Editor Dan McQuade speak at the DP's annual banquet held at The Inn at Penn. [Caroline New/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Daily Pennsylvanian staffers, alumni, parents and three understanding bartenders celebrated the paper's annual changing of the guard at a banquet held Saturday at The Inn at Penn. Many longstanding traditions were honored during the course of the night -- which marked the 119th board of editors and managers' ascension to power -- from University President Judith Rodin's remarks to the sports staff's exit immediately prior to her taking the stage. After a quiet, composed cocktail hour, the 245 guests flooded into the ballroom for presentations and dinner. Outgoing Executive Editor and College senior Matthew Mugmon opened the evening, introducing Rodin. Though Rodin declared herself to be "tired of doing stand-up for... Penn's Fourth Estate," she commended the DP staff members for their influence on campus. "You are much more powerful and influential than I bargained for," she said, citing the 2004 presidential election, Dick Cheney's visit and the infamous goal post incident during this past year's Ivy championship. Particularly piqued by a column run last semester suggesting that she run for president of the United States, Rodin concluded her remarks dismissing "baseless rumors" about her political aspirations. "I couldn't possibly comment," Rodin said. "Besides, I have a plane to catch to New Hampshire." And with that, Rodin exited the ballroom, not deigning to spend the remainder of the evening with her bemused audience. Former DP staffer David Borgenicht, co-author of the Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook and the evening's keynote speaker, offered his advice for survival in the world of journalism. "You have to sell yourself as much as your ideas," he said. "It's slutty but true." As coffee and cake circulated, awards were presented to members of the 118th DP staff. This year's Reporter of the Year was former campus team reporter and incoming Campus News Editor Madlen Read, while Photographer of the Year went to incoming Photo Editor and shutterbug extraordinaire Caroline New. The sports department proudly announced Jeremy Dubert as its Sports MVP and Dave Zeitlin as Sports Writer of the Year. Meanwhile, Dan "D-Mac" McQuade took home both the Editor of the Year and the DP Alumni Association's coveted Michael Silver Writing Award for his article "Sweat and Glory." The second Michael Silver Award, for photography, went to Lauren Karp. The official segment of the evening culminated with members of the 119th board taking the stage one by one to formally assume their positions. Speeches and awards gave way to a driving bass beat and long lines at the open bars as the after-party slowly got into full swing. Though the first song played reminded party-goers that "it doesn't take a lot to fall in love," it took most attendees several drinks. Incoming Executive Editor Amy Potter said that the highlight of the evening would be finding out who ended up together. "It won't be me!" Potter said. "Although Jesse Spector may have other ideas." Spector, a DP legend and former sports editor, returned to the banquet this year, nobly disqualifying himself from winning the award named in his honor. Consequently, this year's J. Gordon Spector Random Hookup Award went jointly to two recently retired beat reporters who were actively pursuing each other on the dance floor, though many felt that Spector's retirement from the field left the competition disappointing. Other noteworthy events included Paul Gulesserian's rendition of Cher's "Believe" and Managing Editor Marla Dunn's giggling dedication of a song to Technical Services Director Jonathan Bare, because "he wouldn't dance with me" or outgoing City News Editor Alexis Gilbert. Former Managing Editor Tristan Schweiger bet $200 that Mugmon would go home alone. To that, Mugmon responded, "I will have their asses kicked. That is to say, I will kick their asses."