The Penn women's basketball team played the entire 2000-2001 season with one goal in mind -- to have a banner raised in the Palestra in honor of its first Ivy League championship. And with a 14-0 conference record, the Quakers did capture the title, but they learned yesterday they will have no banner to commemorate their season in college basketball's most historic gym. Penn officials announced last night that the southwest rafters of the Palestra, which are presently empty, will remain that way so there will be room for banners to recognize future championships won by the men's team. "It was a very difficult decision, but one we felt we ultimately had to make," Penn Athletic Director Steve Bilsky said. "The women's team had a sensational year and it deserves a lot of credit, but when people think of the Palestra, they think of men's basketball." Penn men's coach Fran Dunphy, who declined to comment, is rumored to have influenced Bilsky's decision, but close confidants rushed to the defense of their friend. "Everyday he comes to me and buys a breakfast burrito," Mexican food truck operator and venture capitalist Mike Guerrera said. "That's all I'm saying. He's a class act." Despite the swirling controversy, the Penn women will still be honored at another locale. A banner will be hung from a fence post at the basketball courts above the 38th Street parking garage. Most of the women seemed to accept the idea. "I just try to do what's best for the team," senior co-captain Erin Ladley said. "It doesn't matter where the banner will be, or that we even have one, because we know what we accomplished." Caramanico, Penn's other co-captain, appeared uninterested by the whole discussion. "I just don't understand why everyone's paying so much attention to this," Caramanico said. "Soon I'll be playing for the New York Liberty and my former teammates will be clinging to old college memories. It's just sad really." But the Penn coaching staff felt differently about the situation. Head coach Kelly Greenberg and assistants Joe McGeever and Dayna Smith were outraged by the idea of not having the championship banner raised in the Palestra. All three suggested that it was extremely unfair for the team to play all of its home games in the storied arena, and then be shunned by its administrators. "I personally take offense to what they're doing to our team," an angry Greenberg said. "I've seen that area by the 38th Street courts and it's not a suitable location for us to be honored for the greatest season in the program's history." The Red and Blue will have their official ceremony at the 38th Street court on opening night next fall, and will then lead their fans en masse along Locust Walk to the Palestra for the first game.