Penn wrestling freshman Mason Lenhard was selected as Co-Ivy League Rookie of the Year and named to the first team All-Ivy squad yesterday. He capped a 24-8 rookie season by winning the EIWA title at 125 pounds. (Alyssa Cwanger/DP File Photo)

Prior to this year, Penn senior Mike Fickell was never a first team All-Ivy selection. Prior to this year, Fickell had just one full season of starting experience under his belt. But past accolades and experience proved inconsequential, as the Quakers 197-pounder was named Ivy League Wrestler of the Year yesterday. Fickell, who earned All-American honors by placing fifth at NCAAs two weeks ago, is the fourth Penn athlete in the last five years to win the Ancient Eight's Wrestler of the Year award. "He performed," Penn 157-pounder Yoshi Nakamura said. "[Fickell] had a great performance at Nationals, and being captain and a leader, he showed great consistency all year long." Fickell finished with a 23-5 record, a team-high 10 pins and an EIWA Championship this season. But Fickell wasn't the only Penn wrestler to garner All-Ivy honors. Every Penn starter was an All-Ivy selection this year. Six Quakers made the first team, two made the second team, and two received honorable mention accolades. Included among those six Penn first team All-Ivy selections is 125-pounder Mason Lenhard. Lenhard also shared Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors with Harvard 149-pounder Jesse Jantzen. The Penn freshman posted a 24-8 record and finished first in his weight class at EIWAs, but lost his only two bouts at NCAAs. "I would have liked to end a little better, but there's still next year," Lenhard said. "And I've got three years left." Lenhard was one of three Penn freshmen to be named to the first team All-Ivy squad. Mike Faust (heavyweight) and Marcus Schontube (184) were also selected. Two other Penn freshmen, Jeff Eveleth (133) and Doug McGraw (141), earned honorable mention All-Ivy honors. "You wait and see next year what they'll do," Nakamura said of Penn's five All-Ivy freshmen. "They'll be more mature physically, more mature mentally, and they'll be ready to go out and tear through the competition." But Penn will have more than just those five freshmen returning next year. Of Penn's 10 All-Ivy selections, all but two will be back in the fall. And 2000 All-American Rick Springman, who took this year off from competition, is slated to compete next season. But the Quakers will lose graduating senior Tim Ortman. The 165-pounder finished 22-9 this year and captured an EIWA Championship. Nakamura is also technically a senior, but still has another year of eligibility remaining. The 157-pounder finished seventh in NCAAs and earned his initial first team All-Ivy selection this year by compiling a 26-3 record and finishing first in EIWAs. "It's a great feeling," Nakamura said. "It's a great sense of accomplishment to know that you're one of the best in your league." Penn twins Joe and Josh Henson grabbed spots on the All-Ivy second team. Joe Henson (149) went 20-13 this year, while Josh Henson (174) compiled an 18-6 record. Harvard was second to Penn in both first-team honorees (five) and overall All-Ivy selections (seven).