For the players of the Penn women's squash team, February 1, 2001, will likely be a date they won't soon forget. For the first time in the history of Penn squash -- both men's and women's -- the Quakers defeated Princeton on the Tigers' home court. Penn (4-1, 4-0 Ivy League) bested the Tigers (2-2, 1-2) yesterday by a 6-3 count. But a victory at Jadwin Gymnasium wasn't the only history the Quakers made last night. Sophomore Runa Reta, playing at the No. 1 position for the Red and Blue, defeated the Tigers' Julia Beaver, the reigning two-time intercollegiate champion, 3-1. Beaver has not lost a dual-match in more than three seasons. In addition, the win comes only five days after Reta lost to Beaver in the Constable Invitational, hosted by Princeton. "It was surprising because I thought it would be closer," Reta said. "I've never beaten her, even in juniors. Tonight proved to me that she has her weaknesses and that I can beat her." Veterans and newcomers both contributed to Penn's victory, with three wins coming from seniors Helen Bamber and co-captains Rina Borromeo and Lauren Patrizio, and two wins coming from freshmen Quincy Riley and Katie Fetter. "For the seniors, it was one of our last matches so we were even more motivated to win," Borromeo said. "Winning helps [the freshmen] because they were disappointed with their losses earlier in the semester, so winning a tough match is a great confidence booster." After returning from study abroad in South Africa, Bamber has proven to be one of the Quakers' best weapons. She has now won two challenging matches for the Red and Blue against opponents from Trinity and Princeton, both teams that are among the elite in collegiate squash. "These last couple matches have got me back into the swing of things," Bamber said. "And winning gives me more confidence to be on court and to readjust to the pressure of competition." With two of the Quakers' three most challenging matches of the season now behind them, the victory over the Tigers could turn out to be pivotal for the Quakers, especially after a tough loss to Trinity on January 14. "Winning is definitely such a confidence booster and it has given us a lot of hope," Reta said. "After the loss to Trinity, we were a little down. Now we know we're still in it." Riley and Fetter's wins at the No. 8 and 9 positions, respectively, may be the most significant outcome from the Red and Blue's victory last night, as it gives two newcomers the match experience they need to compete, and the confidence they need to win. "Earlier in the week, I thought we had a good chance to win at the [No.] 8 and 9 [spots], especially if they just went out and played their best squash," Penn coach Demer Holleran said. "Now they've seen what they can do if they really apply themselves." The Quakers will wrap up the regular season next weekend at home. They first play a deep Harvard team that was ranked No. 1 in the national preseason polls. Harvard was the only team to be ranked above defending national champion Penn. The Red and Blue will then face Ivy League foe Dartmouth to complete their season-closing doubleheader. "Harvard is a strong team, especially at the bottom of their ladder," Bamber said. "After tonight, [Riley and Fetter] can head in with more confidence and momentum and hopefully pull out wins."