Acoustic folk-rocker Ben Harper will headline the annual Spring Fling concert this April, the Social Planning and Events Committee announced yesterday. Harper is scheduled to play a two-hour set to close the show, following opening acts that have not yet been determined. The April 20 concert is traditionally the highlight of the weekend of Fling festivities, this year themed "The Sweetest Fling." "From early on, Ben Harper was one of our top choices, and we were very fortunate to be able to get him," SPEC Concerts Co-Director and College senior Jared Goldman said. He added that Harper's name has always come up in the SPEC concerts committee in past years. Last year, Ben Folds Five and The Roots played Hill Field. In 1999, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Run DMC headlined the event. And jazz artist Maceo Parker starred in the 1998 Fling concert. "Ben Harper is an amazing performer, and he has a very strong following," SPEC Concerts Co-Director and College senior Matt Dicker said. Dicker also said that Harper was the top choice for the committee. Harper, 31, released his debut album, "Welcome to the Cruel World," in 1994. Since then, he has released three more albums, toured extensively and developed a strong fan base, particularly among college students. In 1999, he released his first mainstream hit single "Steal My Kisses." Last summer, he opened for Dave Matthews Band. Harper's newest album, Live from Mars, is scheduled to be released at the end of March, just before his appearance at Penn. "I think Ben Harper covers a diverse music range for Penn's campus," Goldman said. Dicker said that the committee looked into other electronic groups, such as Moby. SPEC Concerts committee members hope to announce the opening acts within the next two to three weeks. Neither Dicker nor Goldman would specify who the top choices are for the concert's other acts. According to Goldman, the committee is looking for opening acts that will best complement Harper. Dicker added that the group was looking for an eclectic mix of bands reminiscent of last year. Student reactions to the announcement of the Fling band were generally positive. While not everyone expressed a strong interest in Ben Harper's music, those who were familiar with him agreed that he was a good choice for this particular type of concert. "I think his lyrics and laid-back style really appeal to students," College freshman Evan Grove said. "Ben Harper is very college-friendly, right up there with Guster." College sophomore Jaime Kraybill also said, "Harper is a college type of guy, and a lot of students around here really like him." And College and Wharton sophomore Josh Wechter agreed that Harper is a good choice for the university setting. "I'm not all that familiar with his music, but I think it's a good choice," he said. "It'll be interesting to see what he chooses to play." Tickets for the concert will go on sale sometime after spring break. Like last year, tickets will cost $15 for Penn students and $23 for the public. Between 4,000 and 6,000 Penn students and Philadelphia residents attend the Fling concert every year.