For the ninth straight year, the Penn men's basketball team won its Ivy League home opener. The Quakers (2-9, 1-0 Ivy League) defeated Columbia (4-9, 0-1), 65-44, on Friday night at the Palestra. Four of Penn's five starters scored in double figures, led by sophomore forward Koko Archibong''s 18. Chris Wiedemann led Columbia with 12 points and nine rebounds. The Quakers, who have now won 22 consecutive Ivy League games, went on a 13-point run midway through the first half to swell a one-point lead to 14. Ugonna Onyekwe blocked two Lions' shots and Lamar Plummer had a steal during that run. Overall, Penn had four blocks, six steals and held Columbia to 35.7 percent from the field. "I would like to think our defense was what got us going tonight," Penn coach Fran Dunphy said. "I think it's defense that fuels our team." However, the Quakers' offense was more than servicable against the Lions. Penn shot 49.1 percent from the field and dished out a season-high 20 assists. Onyekwe had 15 points, seven boards and seven assists, while center Geoff Owens had a double-double - 10 points and 11 boards. But Penn's leading scorer, guard Lamar Plummer, was held in check by Columbia guard Craig Austin. Averaging 17.3 points per game prior to Friday night's contest, Plummer only scored five points and took only five shots against the Lions. And his only first-half shot was a fast-break layup miss. "I thought Craig did a terrific job," Columbia coach Armond Hill said. "(Plummer) was their leading scorer and we felt he was the guy that we were supposed to stop" Penn's next game is Saturday night at the Palestra against Cornell, a team coached by former Quakers assistant Steve Donohue.