The National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education recently published a lengthy study titled Measuring Up 2000, a comprehensive look at the quality of public higher education across the country. The publication includes comparisons of all 50 states, which were graded on criteria ranging from the affordability of post-secondary schooling to the quality of students' preparation for college. Richard Wagner, a member of the national advisory board that assisted in the creation of the report, said that it would "serve as a catalyst for state leaders to take look at their states and take the necessary steps... to improve." Pennsylvania fared well in some areas but did poorly in others. Notable among the state's achievements was its completion rate -- the percentage of full-time students who complete their secondary schooling in five years or less. Approximately 62 percent of Pennsylvania's students receive their bachelor's degree within that period of time. Dan Langan, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania Department of Education, attributed this to the high percentage of private colleges within the state. He also cited an incentive program created by Gov. Tom Ridge in which colleges meeting a threshold level of 40 percent completion receive additional grants from the state. Most private colleges already meet that standard, according to Langan. California was ranked highest in affordability of higher education. The state "has a long history of subsidizing higher education," said Charles Reed, the chancellor of the California State University System. Reed added that the government recently appropriated more money for secondary education, lowering fees roughly 10 percent. The burden of paying for a college education was higher in Pennsylvania than in many other states. After accounting for financial aid, public tuition costs consume about 30 percent of the average Pennsylvania family's income. Public education in Pennsylvania is two-tiered, with a state system of schools augmented by four state-related institutions, which include Penn State and Temple universities. Harriet Goodheart, a Temple spokeswoman, noted that the school's expenses have been rising. "The costs incurred in delivering education, particularly with the cost of technology, are increasing," she said. Temple receives an appropriation from the state, according to Goodheart, which allows the school to offer relatively low tuition rates -- $6,648 for in-state students. "We are offering more financial aid than we have ever offered before," she added. Pennsylvania's eastern neighbor had one of the strongest showings in the higher education report card. New Jersey received top marks for educational preparation as well as benefits conferred by the educational system. "We think the report speaks for itself," said Richard Vespucci, a spokesman for the New Jersey Department of Education.