Stacey Carter and Kelly Szczerba stuffed Sacred Heart in the Quakers' last regular season game. Penn has the No. 2 seed at this weekend's Ivy League Tournament after completing its best regular season since 1982, winning 21 out of 28 matches. (Will Burhop

Over the past two months, the Penn volleyball team has spent hour after hour, day after day in the gym working on their game. This weekend, all that work will be put to the ultimate test when the Quakers face the rest of the Ancient Eight in the Ivy League Championship Tournament. The Quakers will travel to the Malkin Athletic Center in Boston, where all matches will take place. The tournament will be in an eight-team, single-elimination format on Harvard's home court. The Quakers have high hopes. "I hope we can play the best we've played all season and come away with the Ivy League championship," Penn freshman Elisabeth Kwak-Hefferan said. In the first round, No. 2 Penn (5-2 Ivy League) will take on the home team, No. 7 Harvard (2-5). In the meeting between the two teams during the regular season, Penn racked up 60 kills and hit .252 en route to defeating the Crimson in straight games at the Malkin Athletic Center. Once again, Harvard will have the benefit of its roaring fans. "The crowd is very loud, very obnoxious," Penn coach Kerry Major said. "But we were so focused on the match, and so into our game, that we tuned it out for the most part. I'd like to see that same thing happen [on Friday]." In addition, the Quakers know that the Crimson will have revenge on their minds and will bring their "A" game. "We can't take them too lightly," junior middle hitter Kelly Szczerba said. "Even though we beat them in three [during the regular season], they are a very good team." The Quakers must shut down Harvard junior Erin Denniston, the Crimson's go-to hitter. Denniston finished the regular season ranked first in the Ivy League in kills (357) and second in kills per game (4.15). If Penn beats Harvard, it will face the winner of the match between No. 3 Cornell (4-3) and No. 6 Brown (2-5) in the semifinals. Penn beat both of these teams during the regular season, taking out the Big Red in straight games and beating the Bears, 3-2. In spite of the fact that Penn had a tougher time with Brown, and that Cornell fell to the Bears, 3-2, during the regular season, Major predicts that the Big Red will come out on top. "I think we're gonna face Cornell," Major said. "They're a stronger team on paper, and I don't think we saw their best match [when they played] against us." Penn's key to success against Cornell will be silencing its big three, something the Quakers did quite well in the regular season meeting. Middle hitter Robin Moore was the Big Red's lone bright spot, picking up 15 kills and hitting .234 in her team's losing effort. Cornell outside hitters Debbie Quibell and Jennifer Borncamp had sub-par matches, with Quibell's hitting percentage in the red and Borncamp's at .104. If Penn faces Brown, the Quakers must not underestimate the Bears. Despite being ranked sixth or lower in the Ivy League in all but one team category, Brown has the potential to upset a higher-ranked team. In the upper bracket, No. 1 Princeton (6-1) will face off against No. 8 Columbia (1-6). Afterward, No. 4 Yale (4-3) will take on No. 5 Dartmouth (4-3). Most coaches, including Major, expect Princeton to come out on top in the upper half of the bracket. "I think Princeton has something to prove, and other people feel that [the Tigers] have to come out on top," Major said. If all goes according to plan, the underdog Quakers will get the opportunity to avenge their earlier 3-0 loss to the Tigers. Princeton manhandled Penn in Old Nassau in that meeting. Princeton freshman Kellie Cramm had a stellar match, picking up 22 kills and hitting a very convincing .366. For her team to have a chance, Major must make several adjustments on defense. Most importantly, Penn's blockers must be able to read Princeton's southpaw setter Ana Yeorg. The six-footer moves the ball around very deceptively, and also attacks effectively on the second touch. On the court, Penn's backrow players must be able to switch smoothly between perimeter defense and rotational defense. The tournament will begin at 1 p.m. on Friday afternoon with the Princeton-Columbia quarterfinal match, and will conclude with the championship match taking place at 7 p.m. on Saturday night. The Quakers are fired up and ready to play this weekend. "Each game of the season we've improved," sophomore Stacey Carter said. "We've met every single goal we've had throughout the entire season. I think we're very ready."