Eric Sobotka is one of four Quakers headed to the ITA Regionals tomorrow at Virginia Tech. Penn will use the tournament to measure its progress. (Stefan Miltchev/DP File Photo)

For the four members of the Penn men's tennis team set to begin play at the ITA Eastern Regional Championships at Virginia Tech tomorrow, the tournament represents a chance to end their fall season with flair. After an autumn marred by obstacles -- including the absence of a coach until midseason -- Penn is looking to establish itself as a contender among the top teams in the region. Regionals provide the perfect setting to meet this goal, since it brings together many top-notch programs from the East Coast. "[The ITA tournament] leaves a lasting impression," Penn sophomore Ryan Harwood said. "If we do well, it sends a message to the whole league." Additionally, the players are battling for the right to earn a birth in the 2001 Rolex National Indoor Championships in February. The two finalists automatically advance, while the other players pad their rankings by playing well. While the four Penn representatives share the aspiration to build momentum for the team heading into the spring season, each has individual goals for the tournament. For Fanda Stejskal, the Red and Blue's No. 1 singles player, Regionals is a chance to turn around a disappointing season by finally playing to his potential. "I'm just going to go match by match," Stejskal said. "I don't feel like I'm playing my best tennis. But there is no one in the region that I can't beat. All the matches that I lost [this season] were because I didn't play well. Everything depends on me." After disappointing showings at the past couple of tournaments, Harwood is also raring to go. "I'm anxious to get out there and play because everyone is there and it's a chance to prove yourself," Harwood said. Meanwhile, Quakers co-captain Eric Sobotka sees Regionals as "a litmus test," which will help him and his team gauge their progress through the fall season. Penn junior Brian Barki, the fourth Penn player heading to Virginia Tech, thinks the Quakers are set to perform. "We have played some pretty tough opponents this fall, so we shouldn't be shocked or anything," Barki said. "My goal is to just play consistently, play within myself." Though the Quakers view their overall play this fall as solid, they look to capitalize on this final opportunity to send a message to the region that Penn is a force to be reckoned with in the all-important spring season. "You work on each match and, before you know it, you're in the championship match," Penn coach Mark Riley said. "We get a chance to show all the teams how good we can be."