The Penn women's swimming team will head west this weekend to face both Bucknell and Binghamton in Lewisburg, Pa. After beating Cornell in their opener, the Quakers are hoping to continue their improvement with a glut of freshmen leading the way. (Stefan

Although there are more than 35 women on the Penn women's swimming team, they are much closer than one might expect. The team's tri-captains, senior Cathy Holland and juniors April Fletcher and Devin McGlynn, work to keep their team a strong and cohesive unit despite its size. In a sport like swimming, it is easy for the participants to focus solely on individual events. The Penn women's swimming team, however, does not have this problem -- the Red and Blue are just as focused on the team aspect of their efforts. The captains are largely responsible for this team spirit and enthusiasm. "The captains are good leaders that encourage all the swimmers to try their best and have as much fun as possible while they're at it," freshman Nicole Wake said. This year, the Penn women's swimming team includes a large and fast freshman class. Therefore, keeping the team cohesive is a major priority. "With the freshmen being faster in a lot of events, the captains have done a good job of keeping the team together," coach Mike Schnur said. In fact, many of the freshmen rely on the leadership and support that their captains provide. Faced with constant adjustment, many look to the upperclassmen for support in and out of the pool. "If anyone has a problem, they know that they can go to the captains on this team," Schnur said. "The captains demonstrate a sense of wanting to help the other members of their team." The Quakers tri-captains each take her role very seriously. Each one tries to provide as much as possible for her team. "I'm glad that the freshmen feel that I'm someone they can talk to -- and not just about swimming," Fletcher said. Holland, a second-year captain for the Red and Blue, is dedicated to her job. As the Penn record-holder in both the 200 and 400-meter individual medley, Holland is a true leader for her squad. "I am very proud to be a captain of this team," Holland said. "It is something that I take very seriously." Although McGlynn called Holland the "Queen Mother of captains," Holland does not manage the job by herself. Fletcher and McGlynn are also crucial to the successful leadership of the Quakers. "Each of us bring something different to the role of captain," Holland said. "We really round each other out well. Together we work a lot better to lead this team than we would individually." McGlynn and Fletcher, both school record-holders like Holland, keep the the Quakers upbeat during and after practice. "Devin always keeps everyone positive," sophomore Sarah Nessler said. "And April is always there if you need anyone to talk to or to reassure you." All three admit that their duties are made easier by a motivated team. They are also aided by a strong force of upperclassmen. "The team makes my job really easy," Fletcher said. "Also, the other girls in my class play just as large of a leadership role. It's more of a communal thing amongst the upperclassmen." This upcoming weekend, the Quakers will travel to Lewisburg, Pa., where they will square off against host Bucknell and Binghamton. At the tournament, the Red and Blue will look to unveil an improved squad. "This year is definitely a breakthrough year," Fletcher said. "I'm just excited to walk out on the deck and have people be scared of us."