Jordan, Langel sign in Europe Recent Penn graduates Michael Jordan and Matt Langel will be continuing their basketball careers overseas this year. After four years of thrilling crowds at the Palestra, the two first team All-Ivy honorees both signed contracts with teams in Europe this week. They left to join their respective squads last night. Jordan, who spent part of the NBA preseason with the Boston Celtics, will play in France. Langel will play for SFP Chene Basket in Geneva, Switzerland, where he will be reunited with former teammate Oggie Kapetanovic. Kapetanovic, a 6'10" forward who gave up his final year of eligibility to play professionally, has been in Switzerland for about a month. No further details on Jordan's and Langel's deals were known at press time. The two guards are the latest Quakers to head overseas. Forward Paul Romanczuk, a 1999 Penn graduate, and swingman Frank Brown, who graduated in May, both signed to play in Spain in recent months. -- Rick Haggerty

Coaches v. Cancer set for weekend The annual Coaches Versus Cancer open practice for the six Philadelphia Division I men's basketball teams is set for tomorrow at La Salle. Starting at 11 a.m., each team will practice for 45 minutes and then sign autographs for fans afterward. The Quakers are set to practice from 2 to 2:45 p.m. at the Tom Gola Arena. Admission is free, but fans will be encouraged to make donations to Coaches Versus Cancer. "We want to raise as much money as possible, but we also want to raise awareness," Penn coach Fran Dunphy said. -- R.H.