3af96d2d8c9ae521
kylee jakobowski; field hockey v st. joeseph's

Despite controlling the pace for much of the game, the Penn field hockey team went home empty-handed Friday night after a sudden death overtime 3-2 bout with St. Joseph's. Although the first half ended without a goal by either team, the second half would see Penn score two goals, each of which was quickly answered by St. Joe's. Penn sophomore Ali Corsi put Penn on the scoreboard first with a slow bouncing hit into the goal that slipped past five St. Joe's defenders. Eight minutes later, St. Joe's responded with a goal of its own. Penn's second goal earned "play of the game" status, as sophomore Kylee Jakobowski used a penalty corner to lob the ball into the air and over the heads of the St. Joe's goalie and defenders. "That was a beautiful ball, beautiful ball," St. Joe's coach Joan Broderick said. "Really caught us by surprise." The Quakers maintained their lead until, with 13 minutes left, strategic errors on the part of the Penn defense contributed to another St. Joe's goal. Within only a few minutes time, Penn allowed St. Joe's to take four consecutive penalty corners, the last of which ended in St. Joe's tying goal. "Franticness contributed to [the four penalty corners in a row]," Penn coach Val Cloud said. "I was trying to get a timeout before they even got down [to Penn's end of the field] because I saw some things I didn't like, and I said this is a good time to take a timeout. It kept hitting our feet because it was very congested in there." The final 13 minutes of regular play ended with neither team able to produce the winning point. From there, both teams headed into a sudden death overtime round of play. Overtime saw some close misses by both teams. Five minutes into the extra period, St. Joe's hit a shot from the outer edges of the scoring zone that went into the goal, but was disqualified because it was dangerously fast and high. Shortly after, Penn almost clinched the game when junior Nikki Battiste had a close shot on goal that missed slightly to the outside. The Hawks finally put away the Quakers after Penn junior co-captain Monique Horshaw was penalized for pushing from behind. St. Joe's received a penalty shot that pitted a single Hawks forward against Penn sophomore goalie Kate Davis, who recorded nine saves on the evening. "That last foul cost us," Cloud said. "It was a shame it had to end that way.