Penn men's basketball recruit Charlie Copp is spending much of his summer the way fellow incoming freshman Adam Chubb and Jeff Schiffner are -- playing basketball.

Copp is playing in the Sonny Hill League with some of his old AAU teammates, and in the a basketball league in his hometown of Reading.

The 6' guard chose Penn over Lafayette and St. Joseph's mainly because of the academics.

"Penn was a place where they said I could come in and play really soon," Copp said. "Plus, there's [the prospect of] the Ivy League degree, and the basketball [team] is skyrocketing."

The basketball atmosphere was also a big attraction for the freshman.

"I was down [on campus] for a lot of games," Copp said. "A great atmosphere at the Palestra. The Big 5 and everything like that made [Penn] very attractive."

Copp describes himself as "a mix between a point guard and an off-guard," which should come in handy with the graduation of two-guard Matt Langel and point man Michael Jordan.

"I'm a pretty good shooter, but I like to dish off, too," Copp said.

Unlike Chubb and Schiffner, Copp hasn't met most of his teammates, but those he has met have impressed him.

"I worked out with Dave Klatsky," Copp said. "I met the other recruits. They're very talented, I'm looking forward to playing with them."

Of course, Copp has met Quakers coach Fran Dunphy, and likes what he's seen.

"I got to watch some practices and stuff, and I like the way he operates," Copp said of his new coach. "He's a big attraction [to the school] too."

****

The rest of the Quakers basketball team is busy this summer as well.

The following players are participating in the Sonny Hill League, with their team following their name in parentheses: senior center Geoff Owens (Sports Authority); senior forward Josh Sanger (Aaron McKie); sophomore forward Ugonna Onyekwe (WDAS); and senior forward Oggie Kapetanovic (Gladys Rogers).

Senior guard Lamar Plummer, who left the team last semester for personal reasons is also playing in the league, for Chestnut Hill Podiatry.

The schedule for next week's games in which Quakers will be featured is as follows.

Tonight -- Chestnut Hill Podiatry, 8:30.

Tomorrow -- Gladys Rogers, 7:15; Chestnut Hill Podiatry vs. Aaron McKie, 8:30.

Saturday -- Sports Authority, 10:30 am; WDAS 11:45 am.

Monday -- Gladys Rogers vs. Aaron McKie, 8:30.

Tuesday -- WDAS vs. Chestnut Hill Podiatry, 8:30.

Wednesday -- Sports Authority, 8:30.

All games are played at Temple's McGonigle Hall.