DeRosa-Glanville: weekend showdown at the Vet.

Over the weekend, former Penn baseball star-cum-Phillies starting center fielder Doug Glanville faced off against former Penn baseball star Mark DeRosa, now a backup shortstop for the Atlanta Braves.

The Friday night Braves-Phillies matchup marked the first time that two former Penn players faced each other in the Major Leagues.

The Phillies won the four-game set, 3-1. Both DeRosa and Glanville started all four games.

Glanville went 3-18 with one RBI in the Friday-Monday series, while DeRosa, who was often pulled late in the game, went 1-8.

The only direct interaction between the two during the game was Saturday night when DeRosa stabbed a Glanville liner out of the air.

The two never shared the field as Quakers, but they could have. Glanville signed with the Chicago Cubs as a 12th-round selection before his senior year at Penn, which would have been DeRosa's freshman campaign.

Penn coach Bob Seddon enjoyed watching two of his former players go head-to-head.

"It's a very rare thing," Penn coach Bob Seddon said. "It's very exciting [that this happened], it's not like we're Florida State where this happens all the time."

-- Sebastian Stockman

More Baseball: Freshman Italiano named All-American

Penn freshman second baseman Nick Italiano was named Honorable Mention Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball.

Italiano finished second in Ivy play with a .406 batting average. His overall average of .353 and his 42 total hits were good enough for fourth on the Penn squad.

No slouch defensively, Italiano committed just four errors in 168 chances at second base.

Seddon said that the second-team all-Ivy selection was good enough to play on virtually any team in the country. Seddon compared Italiano to second baseman Chris O'Reardon, who the Quakers once recruited, but opted to walk on at Stanford instead.

"I just watched [O'Reardon] in the College World Series, and Nick is every bit as good," Seddon said. "He could be playing at that level.

"He's very sound, very coachable, He'll be our leadoff hitter for the next three years."

-- S.S.